Which Sat Nav?

Guest Bazwaz

Guest Bazwaz

For some reason my other half as decided that she wants a sat nav. Personally i've no experiance with them and have always managed with a map.

She doesn't want anything complcated with lots of functions that will never be used, just something that's simple to use.

Any recommendations?

Barry.

Guest outtolunch

mine is now superceeded by newer models its a garmin i3 which was the basic model at the time of purchase and has worked fine except for one thing which might affect you due to your location. it hates Leeds city centre and will often freeze there I think this could be a combination of things from losing signal through the underpasses the map being out of date and there having been lots of changes and the high rise building works that seem so popular there.

I'm not sure if this is just my unit or if it a common problem with other models and makes.

Guest pwlcarz
mine is now superceeded by newer models its a garmin i3 which was the basic model at the time of purchase and has worked fine except for one thing which might affect you due to your location. it hates Leeds city centre and will often freeze there I think this could be a combination of things from losing signal through the underpasses the map being out of date and there having been lots of changes and the high rise building works that seem so popular there.

I'm not sure if this is just my unit or if it a common problem with other models and makes.

I've been using Sat Nav for over 4 years now and simply wouldn't be without it. In general most of them work well with just occaisional glitches, mainly the quality of the Sat receiver and how up to date the maps are.

There are only 2 suppliers of Mapping data (Navteq & Tele-Atlas) and all Sat Nav suppliers buy their data from one of them. If the data supplied isn't as up to date as possible, this is when you find roads that don't exist or rather roads that now exist but your Sat Nav tells you they don't.

I've used 3 different types of Sat Nav software - Mio Map, Tom Tom Navigator 5 and Road Angel. The Tom Tom system is by far the easiest to use and provides simple clear instructions. If you buy the latest Tom Tom 6 with full UK post code search you can't really go wrong.

One thing to check on - make sure when you buy that you are getting the full system and don't have to subscribe. The Road Angel caught us out with that, you buy the device, works for 3 months then stops working unless you pay a subscription.

Hopr this helps with the decision making.

Guest Ian & Carole

Baz

Just been in Halfords, they have a wide screen full european mapping system (720) even had a blue tooth link ? that will read your text messages to you.

I think it was reduced from £249. now down to £169.

Carole in London today but I think a trip to Halfords tomorrow is on the cards.

The guy in the shop said it was the best value "at the moment" but also said that they change on a weekly basis.

The other one he praised was a Garmin for about £20. less.

I currently have a Medion PDA with sat nav on it. very slow and seems about 4years out of date on its mapping and only has 4 digit post code so still have to type in full address details, a real pain in the a**e

Ian J

Guest craig030774
Baz

Just been in Halfords, they have a wide screen full european mapping system (720) even had a blue tooth link ? that will read your text messages to you.

I think it was reduced from £249. now down to £169.

Carole in London today but I think a trip to Halfords tomorrow is on the cards.

The guy in the shop said it was the best value "at the moment" but also said that they change on a weekly basis.

The other one he praised was a Garmin for about £20. less.

I currently have a Medion PDA with sat nav on it. very slow and seems about 4years out of date on its mapping and only has 4 digit post code so still have to type in full address details, a real pain in the a**e

Ian J

tom tom xl from argos but when they are about 11months old seem to freeze up just before warranty runs out :D :D

i have a tomtom one v.2. absolutely brilliant. my other half uses it as she does bodyshop at home parties and says it always takes her to the persons door. it is cheap, not overloaded with functions and very simple to use. has some nifty features like finding nearest hospital, police or doctors etc

it is now superseded by the v3 which i must assume to be better still

Guest erichetherington

I use a TomTom One every day for work, nice and simple to use and has the Help feature to find police, doctor health centre etc. But buy online not at Halfrauds.

Decide if you're going to use it in Europe, if you are it's worth buying the EU version as it works out cheaper than buying a separate map.

Guest THE COACH DRIVER
For some reason my other half as decided that she wants a sat nav. Personally i've no experiance with them and have always managed with a map.

She doesn't want anything complcated with lots of functions that will never be used, just something that's simple to use.

Any recommendations?

Barry.

As my name is what i do tom tom 910 has got me around all of europe

Regards

Mick

Guest Bazwaz

Argos are doing Tom Tom v3 for £116.99 plus you get a £10 voucher. Does that sound reasonable?. Cheapest i can find is Dixons, £104 delivered. But i need it for tues as it's a present.

Barry.

I've used TomTom on a pda for some time but I think I'm going to get a TT One V3 Europe. It seems to be the best/easiest software and comes with TomTom share ability to update maps. The UK version, if that's all you need, is little over £100 but you can't add maps later I don't believe - it does not have an SD card slot and only limited storage. You can get the TMC traffic antenna separately later if required, cheapest I've seen it is about £35, which then allows free traffic service. Maps on my pda cannot be updated without buying a newer map and traffic is a subscription service.

Did ask in Halfords yesterday about them, both TT One and Garmin Nuvi are good prices - their after sales support varies though. TT is back to the manufacturer whereas Garmin is new for old replacement.

Guest allenr03

I sell these things, I would only buy Tomtom at the moment, you can't fault them. Tomtom 1 is great value and th quality is spot on. Check out PC World website for specs and prices - use collect@store - the prices are usually a bit better on the website and you can still pick it up from your local store. If you're close to Telford pop in to PC World and I'll do you a deal!