Power Saw For Cutting Stainless In Tight Spaces.

Guest boggie

Guest boggie

Hi All,

I have to cut an access hole in the transmission tunnel, low down on the drivers side, to change the speedo cable. Rather than struggling with drilling multiple holes or using an old bit of hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped around it, are there any power tools I could use. I have a power saw but it is too long to fit in the footwell to get access, I need a reciprocating saw about 10" long. Or is there another way, like a nibbler?

Thanks

would a jigsaw work? i use one for cutting stainless steel and mild steel sheet with a fine metal blade. works pretty well and they often have the turny ends so you can go round corners/ put it closer to the edge. hth

Hi All,

I have to cut an access hole in the transmission tunnel, low down on the drivers side, to change the speedo cable. Rather than struggling with drilling multiple holes or using an old bit of hacksaw blade with a rag wrapped around it, are there any power tools I could use. I have a power saw but it is too long to fit in the footwell to get access, I need a reciprocating saw about 10" long. Or is there another way, like a nibbler?

Thanks

I bought a cheapie Dremel style drill from B&Q like this - http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?...;isSearch=false

for £25. You get a selection of fine cutting discs that I've used on stainless panels and although it's not the fastest of tools it is easy on the elbow grease and will do the job but you need to be careful not to overload it or the discs wear out very quickly. It only removes about a 1mm width of material but can be a bit tricky to cut very straight lines.

Personally if I wasn't bothered about re-using the bit I cut out, I'd chain drill a few hols to start and then just use a decent fine tooth hacksaw blade by hand and just wrap a load of gaffer tape around one end where you hold on to it. Certainly not the fastest but cheap and you're pretty well guaranteed a neat cut.

Guest a8dyc

I did the very same job on the S7 and used a angle grinder with a very fine cutting disc on it.Not the tidest of jobs and you need some one on fire watch but it was quick and easy ish.I did have all the carpet out etc and when the cable was fitted and a plate self tapped on top the carpet covers it up a treat.

Did the job for me.

Andy

Guest boggie
I did the very same job on the S7 and used a angle grinder with a very fine cutting disc on it.Not the tidest of jobs and you need some one on fire watch but it was quick and easy ish.I did have all the carpet out etc and when the cable was fitted and a plate self tapped on top the carpet covers it up a treat.

Did the job for me.

Andy

Thanks guys! I ended up making my own saw by thinning a hacksaw blade, drilling pilot holes and cutting between them by hand. It was fiddly but worked OK. However that was nothing compared to getting the circlip off the gearbox - after 3 hours it is still there!! (see separate thread)

What size hole? I posted about a hole saw as I've borrowed one that does up to 20mm hole very neatly and easily. I also bought a nibbler a while ago (bargain on ebay) as an attachment to a drill (even cordless) which did a good job in stainless!

Guest boggie

THanks All,

Matt - I think the nibbler is the way to go. I used to have one of these, as well as a small reciprocating saw with my old compressor. Now an attachment for a dril sounds interesting. I don't suppose you know the make do you?

Cheers, B

Guest timswait

I've got a nibbler that fits in a drill just like Matt's. Got it from Machine Mart. It is easily the best tool for cutting complicated shapes out of stainless sheet (OK maybe not as good as a plasma cutter - now one of those would be nice ;) ) I reckon it works better than a reciprocating saw on thin sheets and doesn't blunt as quickly. It's also neater and better at going round corners than a grinder. Only thing is be careful of the shavings. They're damn sharp and will get in your tyres very easily. I always seem to have a load in the soles of my shoes when I've been using that tool!