Exhaust Pipe Cover/shield

Guest jwts

Hi,

I'm concerned about the uncovered part of the exhaust on my SuperSpec because it is on the near side and so next to the path when parked the normal way around.

Has anyone made a cover for it or know somewhere where I could buy a cover for it?

I was thinking of making one from half inch wire netting or something similar so if a child stumbled against it they couldn't touch the really hot surface.

Ideas, suggestions?,

John (jwts).

Get yourself a stainless steel laundry bin....they come in various sizes & hole patterns.

Needs a bit of hoody ingenuity re brackets & fitting, but a large one will make 2 covers.....find a friend

to share the cost!!!

Guest Ian & Carole

My first attempt was a washing machine drum.

All the recessed holes made it look quite nice and allowed for good air flow.

I picked up a complete drum from a repair shop in Lincoln for a fiver, enough to make several sheilds.

After SVA I binned it and run comando now. :D

Ian J

Guest Ian & Carole
one here flea bay

a bit pricey though - didn't laserman used to make them with various logo's ????

Yes

I belive he still does and the nose cone grill with your own badge design.

Might be worth a pm to him.

Ian J

Everyone gets/makes/fits/talks about silencer covers. But the silencer doesn't get that hot - I can hold mine comfortably when driving. When stopped with engine running it does warm up some. It's the exhaust pipe that is lethally hot and the cause of many scalded lower legs - that is the bit that needs covering if you are worried about small kids etc - which I am. My exhaust is fortunately on the driver's side but I still worry walking away from it when it's hot after parking.

Would it be an idea to use exhaust wrap on the exposed exhaust manifold/outlet pipework prior to it mating with the catalytic converter/silencer?

Might not look too smart, but could be painted?? Sure there have been posts about painting exhaust wrap somewhere

Just a thought that popped into my head.

Al

Quite neat way of fitting a shield is drill the silencer and bang in four rivnuts. Ordinary nut for a spacer on each fixing bolt and makes a nice close fitting shield mount and you don't end up with a shiny dustbin sized thing on the side of the car.

Nigel

Everyone gets/makes/fits/talks about silencer covers. But the silencer doesn't get that hot - I can hold mine comfortably when driving. When stopped with engine running it does warm up some. It's the exhaust pipe that is lethally hot and the cause of many scalded lower legs - that is the bit that needs covering if you are worried about small kids etc - which I am. My exhaust is fortunately on the driver's side but I still worry walking away from it when it's hot after parking.

Geoff,

That's the part that bothers me too, I didn't make it clear in my note. The SuperSpec has a cover for the cat and silencer. After only a few minutes running the exhaust pipe is hot enough to take your skin off. I am amazed that the SVA worries about small projections that might bruise a knee but ignores a length of red-hot metal that could burn someone to the bone.

It needs a cage around it like you sometimes get on lawnmowers or similar petrol motors. I don't have welding kit (or the skill to use it) but I'm sure something could be made with heavy wire netting, the half-inch square stuff.

I did find someone on eBay who makes stainless covers for exhausts but he needed a drawing of what I wanted made before he could indicate a price.

If enough RH ownwers were interested maybe we could get a design drawn-up for each model and buy a number at a time to bring the cost down?

Regards,

John.