Marshaling

Andi

Have just got a ticket to do some marshalling at 750 race at Mallory Park next weekend.

Never done this before so has anyone got any indication as to what it may entail?

Hopefully not stuck directing car parking from 8 till 5 because obviously it would be nice

to see a bit of the event

Jim Would have been your best bet, hes been marshalling the Bikes at Oulton park for years,(

done a couple of rallys but never really had much action. just rearranged the cones when they where moved.

Mitch

Years back, I went marshalling a rally special stage- at night, in the rhino compound at knowsley safari park. It was pitch black and we spent most of the time looking over our shoulders in case the normal inhabitants got loose! Bloody good laugh, and luckily our ‘services’ were not required by any of the competitors. Brian

Guest mikea
Jim Would have been your best bet, hes been marshalling the Bikes at Oulton park for years,(

done a couple of rallys but never really had much action. just rearranged the cones when they where moved.

Mitch

I think Steve in Stockport marshalls at Outon Park

andi.

Best advice that I can give is; Be prepared. I mean for the weather, any weather, all types of weather!

Take at least 2 more layers than you think you'll need for an artic expedition, you can take them off if it's warm, but if you haven't got them in the first place, you'll freeze!

wear some good boots, dubbin or nitwax them the night before.

A good waterproof ORANGE jacket (works safety shops sell them for about £15) and leggings. (do not have ;blue, yellow, red or green as outer wear.)

A cap. (the hood of the jacket fits nicely over it if raining.

A pair of works type safety gloves, or gardening gloves from B&Q

Take food and drinks, both hot drinks & cold drinks. (more than you think you'll need)

Take sun lotion, and insect repelant.

Get there in good time, you'll need to sign on, then will be given a corner to marshal on. Find out where the marshals park their cars for that corner, and make your way there (unless told that you'll be on a "newby's training course" first.

Don't expect a long lunch break, or it to be at the time stated, if things go pear-shaped in the morning pratice etc, it's the lunch break that suffers.

Don't expect to be away from the circuit before 6-30pm, earlier is a bonus. So don't make any arrangements to take SWMBO out for dinner that night, 'cause you will be smelly, tired, & possibly wet, and will nod off to sleep within 5 minutes of sitting down.

Be prepared to learn, watch how others do things, ask questions. when you've been doing it a long while, sometimes the little things you do are just second nature, whereas new marshals need to know them & why we do things such a way, you need to find out.

Last but not least, come to motorbike marshalling as well, it's certainly not as boring as cars!

All the best, and I hope that you enjoy it.

jim

"you will be smelly, tired, & possibly wet, and will nod off to sleep within 5 minutes of sitting down."

Not too far off,

It was a long day but very enjoyable. I can only imagine it being a lot more miserable in the cold and wet.

The last race was won by Andrew Stirling in a V 3640cc Dax Rush.. Proper monster sound.

The wife decided to join me and won the marshalls raffle and bet me a quid on every race and won every one

so she was happy.