O/t Computer Problem

Joel

Can anyone think why an internet connection through a router, wired with an ethernet cable, wouldn't work, when a wireless connection through the same router works just fine??

Does that suggest a problem at the computer end and not the router end?

By all accounts everything is connected and recognised by the pc, and *should* be working, but I can't get an actual internet connection through the wired connection.

It's connected through the on-board network bit on my motherboard (NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller on Abit Fatal1ty FP-1N9) - it says it's connected and I get the little icon in the taskbar, but nothing happens when I try to use the internet. Works absoloutely fine on the same pc with a wireless connection :huh:

Any ideas?

Cheers.

I think the best way to know for certain would be to test the wired connection with another computer - any chance of borrowing a laptop to try it out? Guess it would be a pain to test the computer with someone else's internet connection?

Have you ever had the computer wired connection working? If it is the computer with the issues, it could be due to the motherboard not being set up correctly. When I build my computer I had to use a CD that came with the motherboard to set up / install the LAN connection.

Probley one of three things

IP , Router security or Drivers.

Most like is by the sound of it is IP, Get a command prompt and type

ipconfig /all

look at the IP address they should only differ at the end (assuming 255.255.255.0 mask) all other info should be the same bar the name, mac and description.

Steve

PS

Unless it's Vista then it could be anything.

Guest pwlcarz

As above. Check that DHCP is turned on allowing it to manage your IP addresses.

Start, settings, Network Connections, Local Area Connections, Properties, Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), Properties, Advanced, check that DHCP is enabled. If not Enable it, then reboot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

>Ok, I've tried it with another computer and it's the same story there - works with wireless, doesn't want to know with wired.

>My computer has been 'wired' in the past but that was with the old USB-modem that came with the broadband package. It's always been wireless with the new router.

>I reinstalled the NVIDIA nforce ethernet drivers from the motherboard installation disc.

>I disabled the wireless card when trying to use the LAN bit - yes they do conflict.

>DHCP is enabled - IP addresses all seem to be in order

>Ethernet cable is brand new and I've no reason to suspect it's dodgy - the router and pc seem to 'connect' no problem, it's just the internet bit that's not working

>It's an XP machine

Ummmm.....don't know what else to suggest. Any more ideas???

Cheers.

Hi Joel - this could be a few things. But if you say the machine is physically connecting to the router then this discounts the card /drivers . Can you get to the router config page when wired - usually on 192.168.1.1 when typed into address bar. The Router could be set up only for wireless and not LAN. It could be a DNS pronlem on the wired PC. Can you check the ip settings from the wired one (not working) and the wireless one (working) . Go to command prompt and type ipconfig /all > c:\wired.txt on the wired machine and then ipconfig /all > c:\wireless.txt on the wireless machine and send me the output files in the root of c:\ by PM. Or compare and ensure that dns server ip address and teh default gateway is the same. Make sure Dns server is not set manually. When changing from wireless to wired reboot the router ( especially if it's a d-link one). If nothing I would suspect its a router config issue. If you are really stuck and need some help PM me with best time and I can help over the phone.

Cheers

Lee