Mot

Andi

Just failed the MOT on sliding pillocks.

Bottom ball joint nearside gone, anybody know where I can get one from?????

Also any local recommended welders who could weld a strut back together on the drivers side

pillock.

Ill put some Photos up in a bit when me and the car have cooled down. :cray: :(

Second look at the bracket, it doesnt appear to me that it was ever joined up to the pillar as it seems to be part of the wheel hub itself.

However up on the mot ramps when the guy shook the car sideways with that clever thingy on the ramps the whole wheel

moved outwards.

What could be wrong?

The article by Chenzo http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?show...&hl=sliding shows his brackets sheared off

but mine are fine.

post-2933-1219939120_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Andy

Hope you haven't paid for your ball joint because you don't need one.

If your system is a Pillar then you have phospher bronze bush wear inside the dummy strut.

Has your strut got grease nipples on the upright part of the strut?.

If so have you tried giving it a really good seeing to with a grease gun?.

I used to grease mine twice a year and never had issues with wear although mine is very low miles.

That might just remove some of the play and allow you to obtain your pass.

If not then a new upright is required and acording to Chenzo GBS can supply.

HTHs

The other thing is that some of the chassis's were a bit "out" and to get the correct caster/camber some people slotted the hole for the strut, they might have slotted yours at the bottom (usually done at the top, I think!) but mainly Ian is correct, they suffer premature wear on the bushes.

Ball-joint - do you mean track-rod-end? If not then as has been said the sliding pillar system doesn't have them. If a tester's failed the car on a component it doesn't have then I'd be seriously questioning his competence.

The part you've pictured/arrowed - The arrow is pointing to where the Sierra hub has been trimmed to clear the upright. It's not supposed to be attached there but the two shouldn't be able to move in relation to each-other. Check the pinch-bolt is secure at the top of the hub and has a good grip on the upright (I suspect the root of Chenzo's problem) Then check that the bracket that's welded to the upright is securely attached to the hub and the weld where it meets the hub is good.

If as Jim says the bottom hole for the upright has been slotted to allow the camber to be adjusted and the nut has come loose/off then the entire lot will move in and out in relation to the "wishbones".

Iain

The tops are slotted and couldnt see any slots on the bottom but will check again.

The spring assembly that is coming away has always had problems with grease/oil

gathering around the bottom of the bump stop whereas the other "ball joint" side

was always clear.

IT PASSED?????

I had resigned myself to opting for the expensive wishbones conversion, but just for my own piece of mind wanted to have a final look

at the suspension failiure. The bolts all seemed tight but I decided to use brute force and squeeze another 1-2 turns on the bolts underneath

the pillar, the pinch bolts and the welded bracket.

Took it back to the garage and asked him to shake the car on the ramps again as I couldnt see any movement.

Lo and behold no movement and he gave me a pass.

Phew!

Ill put off the wishbones till the other side of Xmas.

nice one andi well done. where did you take it for test?

R and R in Wigston as you had yours done there.

Ok so he might not be au fait with sliding pillars but not many people are.

However he did do a £5 discount as he likes kits, didnt try forcing an emission

test out of me and seems a good chap.