Rear Susspension

Guest richieu

Guest richieu

Hi on my part build car i just brought i have the susspension shown in the picture, but in the robin hood video it tells you to use the orgianl springs that fit into this very large circle on my rear sub frame, is the suspension i have on there ok or do i need to do what is shows on the dvd ?

Picture is attatched

PS. Sorry for all the questions, just very new to this and trying to find out what goes where

Regards

Richard

post-3273-1219993617_thumb.jpg

Guest Takumi

on the video, he re-uses the old rear springs but using the mcpherson strut from the front to act like an upper spring seat, which is then slid into the bottom of the roll bar tube.

On mine we have now converted it to coilovers, using the original spring position, between the roll bar tube end, and the spring seat in the wishbone arm..

I thought about using the shock absorber mounting for coilovers, but then thought, the shock absorber mount isn't meant to take the weight of the car..that's what the spring's for.. I wouldn't be suprised in the lower shock bracket will eventually fatigue and crack away..

I had these twin spring shockers on my 2B. They didnt work very well.....

They were supposed to fit into U shaped brackets mounted in the well of the A frame arm.

I'm 100% with Tak here....the shocker mounting was not designed to support the weight of the car.

I know some people have used it with no problems, but I wouldnt.

Also the spring poundage may be wrong...there is far more movement but less leverage at that point than the

well in the A frame.

Also the shocker RHE supplied was never designed as a coilover unit...they are just a shock absorber, & the bushes

werent designed to take the cars weight. They wear out in no time flat.

But dont despair!!! there are 2 choices.

1 (Cheapest) Just use it till it all wears out, and in the meantime get a pair of goo dcondition standard rear Sierra coil springs, & the cups from the bottom of the front McP. struts and 2 new standard Sierra shock absorbers.

Then follow the video.

The setup works very well.....take a look at my Avatar to see just how well.

2 (Best) Save up & get two proper coilovers, GAZ, Protech, AVO etc & fit them between the bottom of the roll bar

& U shaped brackets in the well of the A frame.

Cheers, Bob

Guest richieu

ok i think ill save, want to do it right, what about the front suspension, whats the difference between sliding piller and one that works off a wishbone? has anyone get a conversion guide and perhaps a picture of one woth and one without?

Rich

ok i think ill save, want to do it right, what about the front suspension, whats the difference between sliding piller and one that works off a wishbone? has anyone get a conversion guide and perhaps a picture of one woth and one without?

Rich

Here - http://nw.rhocar.org/identification.htm