Stainless Scratches

Knock-on

Hi Chaps

What's the best way to get scratches out of Stainless steel bodywork (and also the carbon effect nosecone on the 2b)?

Thanks

Hi,

Regards the stainless scratch's, depends on how deep they are. I had the same problem on mine with several scratch's on the rear wheel arch's. I had bought a polishing kit (3 polishing mops + polishing compounds...standard polishing kit) from www.thepolishingshop.co.uk for about £20. Used it loads of times and found it easily got rid of small scratchs on my arch's without looking a pigs ear.

cheers

Terry

Just to clarify, I think the reason people say the stainless can't be polished at all is because it has a kind of lacquered finish, which could be damaged if you go at it with anything aggressive. I'm not saying one way or the other (I've had a degree of success with brass polish), but whatever you try do so with caution and do it somewhere inconspicuous first! :)

GRP can generally be cut-back with increasingly fine wet&dry paper (don't use anything coarser than 800grit, finishing with 1500+ - remember you're 'flatting' not removing material, hence the fine grade) and then polished with a cutting compound like T-Cut. As has been said, you may damage the CF pattern if you go too deep, but I would imagine you'd have at least 1mm of gelcoat before you hit any fibres.