Convoy Communication

Big Jim

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest battery joe
The cheaper option would be to buy a job lot of THESE not sure on the range though, i think it depends on how loud you shout

I dont think Big Jim would need one, you can hear him on the Curbrough video :lol: :lol: :lol:

joey

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone still worried about how the new phone law affects the use of CB radio, this is the reply that I got from the RAC Legal Eagles.

Dear Mr Stott

Thank you for your email to RAC regarding mobile phones and driving.  I

apologise for the delay in responding.

You are quite right that the new law does not apply to 2-way radios, on the

basis that they are used for short communications rather than conversations.

Again, you are right that use of such radios is covered by "due care and

attention".

The Department for Transport has a frequently asked questions page which can be

accessed from the home page at www.dft.gov.uk which clarifies this point.

Yours sincerely

Nicola Thunhurst

External Affairs Manager

RAC

Jim

The Department for Transport has a frequently asked questions page which can be

accessed from the home page at www.dft.gov.uk which clarifies this point.

Should'nt that website be WWW.DAFT.GOV.UK!!!!

Cheers Ian

• 11 months later...

Well folks - after receiving a renewal notice for my licence I did some digging and it appears that the licence was never abolished in July after-all. Apparently with the change over to Offcom as the regulating body the planned changes never occured. This means that the UK40 channels are still going to be legal "for the useable life of the equipment" rather than the previous "until 2010" and that if you're operating without a license you're illegal.

We might have known it was too good to be true - I mean they were going to lose some revenue for which they don't actually have to do any work and they were going to ditch another form-filling exercise.

Looks like it's not just my RHOCaR membership I need to get in the post (although the RHOCaR membership is obviously by far the better value and more important).

Iain

Guest chris brown

Beat me to that one Mitch I suspect the GPO or whatever they are called these days are the ones who do the policing and I can see them getting real excited about half a dozen guys in Robin Hoods asking each other where they are. I don’t think

Guest micky bigthumbs

Back in the 70's there was a neck mike simalar to the old spitfiere ww2 type that fitted tight around the neck and were voice activated . might still be around , ive got to search the shed i've got a set and neck mike and loud speakers for the front bumper somewhere but i havent seen them for ages the 80's i think.

Mick

Tony - a CB licence is £15 per year and the issuing body is now Offcom. Offcom took over as regulating body at the beginning of the year which is why the planned de-regulation never happened in July after-all.

Mitch - they probably wouldn't care unless someone was to complain. Since we use them mobile we would be very difficult to catch because they couldn't triangulate on us unless we stop and broadcast for a while. But.... a 2 metre aerial on the back of the car is kind of hard to miss.

I'm going to renew my licence because like Jim says if they want to get difficult they could theoretically enter my home and remove all equipment capable not only of broadcasting but also of receiving radio transmissions - so potentially no more telly :o Also it would be suspicious if I didn't renew but I was still driving cars with honking big aerials on the back (we also plan to use them with the Mini club).

The choice is yours guys.

Iain

I go away to Europe every year with friends for a week. We take 3 cars and use CBs to stay in convoy. The CB range is good and we never have any problems staying in touch. One point to note is that one car usually uses my handheld (portable) unit. If we do get seperated a car with a fixed unit has to stay with the car with the handheld unit to relay messages over any distance. Hand held units don't have great range when used in a (hard top) car.

In Europe you have to use the European channels. The European channels can also be used in the UK so we always use EU 34.

I have a license and always take it with me. This covers me and anyone else in the car using the CB under my supervision. The other two cars have never had a license. We have never been stopped/asked to produce a license.

I have bought all my kit for Knight's CB (www.kcb.co.uk).