Engine Crane Running Out Of Puff!

peter_m7uk

Finally onto the engine fitting stage of my Lightweight build, but found last night that my engine crane would only lift the

Pinto engine and gearbox to about a foot off the ground! The crane is 2nd hand from eBay, but looks new and the previous

owner had a Land Rover engine and gearbox out, so it must have been ok... It seems to be wilting under load, as I got the

arm up to full height in order to lift the engine out of the stand. I then dropped it down, mated with the box :p , but couldn't

get it up :rolleyes:

Anyway, I think it may be due to lying the crane flat in the back of my car for transportation, maybe causing the hydraulic

fluid to run to the wrong place or get air in the system? Just a guess! Anyone know if there's some way to sort it out??

Cheers,

Pete :D

Guest fozzy2007

we had a couple of heavy pieces of kit in the army (About 14 ton). they were hydraulic arms for the back of the trucks and if you were low on hydraulic fluid they would refuse to lift any weight and if you turned off the engine and waited, some of them would somehow just start to raise into the air by themselves. dont ask me what was up with them as even REME were confused but a top up of the hydraulic fluid usually helped.

Fozzy

Guest jhfozzy

We're never confused in the REME, we're just awaiting an answer from the tiffy!!!

Sounds like you're out of fluid in the reservoir, or the seals may be on the way out.

Buy some hydraulic jack oil (search on google or local factors) about £5-10 for 500ml

Lower the arm all the way down, open the refill point and fill it till it's full. Leave it a bit to see if any air bubbles appear, if they do, top it up.

Once you're sure it's full with no more bubbles, close the refill point and it's done. Some have bleed screws to bleed the air, but most upright ones don't as they self-bleed.

If it still doesn't work, then the seals may have gone.

HTH,

John.

Guest fozzy2007
We're never confused in the REME, we're just awaiting an answer from the tiffy!!!

REME are always confused. running around in circles waiting for someone to find the book that tells them the correct settings for something or other. Its usually storred by the cistern in the toilets for reading material or other not so pleasent uses.

Once saw a REME tech jack up the rear of a 4 ton daf, whip the wheels off, quick check of the something or other and then jump in the cab to drive the axle for a mate to see if everything moves as it should.

A few seconds, a terrable screech and a bit of a girlie scream later, the truck could be seen 10 yards down the hanger dragging the rear axle along the ground with the crumpled axle stands ten yards behind.

The 4 ton has permanent drive to all four wheels!!!!!!

Guest erichetherington

Was stopped once by REME who needed to start a Landrover that had been left with its lights on, by a different gaggle of squadies pbviously. I always carry jump leads so connected them up for them, the second I did they tried starting the Landrover! I had the devil of a job convincing them that it would start but needed a few minutes charging first. Once they listened to my advice it started, well it's only the defence of the country at stake ;)

Guest erichetherington

To be serious and stop knocking REME, how long have you had the hoist and has it been stored upright? Hydraulic rams don't really like being laid flat or upside down as the oil drains into the wrong places, just standing one upright with the valve open can let the oil drain back and "cure" the problem.

Guest jhfozzy
Waiting for someone to find the book that tells them the correct settings for something or other. Its usually stored by the cistern in the toilets for reading material or other not so pleasent uses.

Those books are important!!!! It's reading them on the loo that helps you when you say "I've read that somewhere??"

Never thought this thread would be so popular! :p

In reply to Eric and Adam, I only got the crane (2nd hand but nearly new) a couple of weeks ago and it has been stored upright,

but I transported it to my garage flat in the back of my car...

I haven't bought any hydraulic fluid yet, so I'll try the trick of opening the valve and pumping first :good:

Pete