Sender Fitting To Gbs 30ltr Tank

Al Milton

Hi All,

I have been looking at securing the GBS supplied Ford sender to the 30ltr tank. As you know, the tank comes with the sender hole having 4 'screw' holes equidistant spaced around it.

I am considering screwing 4 M4 threaded set screws from inside the tank (haven't figured how without continuosly dropping these in the tank yet :wacko: ), then making up a securing ring to clamp equally to the threads. The set screws will be bolted securely to the top of the tank with a tank earth taken from one of these points.

Or is a easier route to insert M4 rivnuts? If so, has anyone got a rivnut tool I could borrow?

Any pointers, as always, appreciated.

Cheers

Al

PS Robin, the seals fit a treat to the sender, cheers :good:

Guest robinj66

I fitted four (M6) bolts from the inside and tack welded them into position. Not the neatest job but it serves a purpose.

I have a rivnut tool you can borrow if you want. Give me a bell...

Would suggest changing your penny-washers for L shaped brackets-- hole in long side togo over the stud--short side of L same length as height of sender above tank--this leg then bears on tank & stops bracket tipping when you tighten nut onto stud. hope that makes sence & is helpful.

if you still have the sierra tank you could do what i did. i cut the hole out with a inch surround so i had a ring with the special shaping that locks the sender unit in. I then riveted and glued this piece onto my stainless tank so my sender can be removed in exactly the same way as it was on the sierra. hth

Sender fitted. Screwed (very carefully so as not to drop them in the tank!) 4 M5 x 30mm set screws from the inside of the tank, used M5 penny washers inside tank to spread the load as I didn't have any suitable stainless to make the brackets suggested by Florin Metal Works above. Just had to do a little bit of fettling on the sender so that it cleared the set screw threads.

Secured these set screws with nuts and washers with a dab of locktight.

Used the same size penny washers on the sender, but turned down the outer edge just to make the install look neater and fitted the earthing leads (1 for the tank and one for the sender unit), with tails long enough to go to a suitable point on the chassis.

Once again, thanks for all your suggestions and advice. Few piccies for info.

Cheers

Al

post-1475-1230651937_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1230652051_thumb.jpg