Rear Spring Mounts

Jez Morton

Just upgrading the rear shocks on my 2B plus to GAZ (nice man Santa).

The problem I have is on the off side, the shock would appear to be about 20mm offset outboard form the top mount and of course the near side is spot on? I checked with spirit level on the side of shock to set vertical. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved, or am just being pedantic and should just get them on.

On the lower mount I'm thinking of bolting in with 2 M8 bolts either side of the big hole and using washers so that water will drain out, does this sound strong enough.

Cheers

Jez

Jez

Mine went in no problem. I did have to adjust the mounting of the Ford axle sub unit when fitting originally as it was a bit off centre. maybe your whole axle unit is off to one side. RHE weren't best known for accurate jig work. Best check for square and also for a bent wishbone ( I actually bent one when I had the whoopsy! ). Running the GAZ's on 25 clicks - seems to be fine.

Graham B

Jez,

I had a similar problem when I fitted mine (but on both sides) . I left the top as-was, and moved the lower mount until it was vertical. I made up a U bracket for the lower mount from 2 pieces of angle, and welded a 10mm screw through the lower part. The screw fitted through the large hole in the trailing arm and allowed enough movement to get it all vertical, then I honked it all up. Fine so far. HTH, Brian

Just upgrading the rear shocks on my 2B plus to GAZ (nice man Santa).

The problem I have is on the off side, the shock would appear to be about 20mm offset outboard form the top mount and of course the near side is spot on? I checked with spirit level on the side of shock to set vertical. Has anyone else had this issue and how was it resolved, or am just being pedantic and should just get them on.

On the lower mount I'm thinking of bolting in with 2 M8 bolts either side of the big hole and using washers so that water will drain out, does this sound strong enough.

Cheers

Jez

Yes, from my recollection, they probably didn't 'hang' dead square and align with the centre of the bottom well, when fixed at the top. But, there is quite a bit of movement possible, so I just swung them into the correct place. I too made the lower mounting bracket so that there was a hole lining up with the hole in the trailing arm to aid water drainage. Two more things: You need to ensure that the top and bottom mounting points are in line with the pivot plane of the trailing arm as the arm moves up & down (well as near as dam it anyway). You've probably already got this covered. Also, I was strongly advised to incorporate some strapping, so that if/when the shock gets to it's full extent of travel, it goes no further and the trailing arm's weight is therefore NOT held only by the shocker. Have a look at my website (Dec 2007 - Feb 2008) - There's some words & pics there which may help.

Thanks for the responses all fitted now. Must admit I was shocked when I took the springs of the Zimmers and checked the dampers the damper rate extending to compressing must be about 3:1, and the fronts dampers were about 2:1 as well. No wonder cars bottom out wehn the dampers want to close easier than extend.

Jez