Amateur Build Status

Tazzzzman1

Hi, :o

Having a problem with VOSA!!!!

They have just rejected my application because of insufficient evidence of amateur build status. This is despite me sending them 30+ photos of the build and reciepts all signed and verified. Only 2 of the photo's had me or any one in them though...

They are also requesting photo's from the guy I originally bought the part built kit from (I have already got these and sent them with the application) and a letter from him stating what he did in the build.

Is this something that anyone else has come up against? If so, some advice/ help would be appreciated as I don't know what else I can supply them as proof.

Or is this a more sinister ploy to delay SVA applications til after 28th Feb????

cheers :huh:

Terry

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bombhead

I had a similar problem I had to ring them a couple of times then they said an engineer would call me.

I waited for about a week but I got call (sorry cant remember the chaps name) we had a chat he asked me a few questions about the build and then about a week later I got a letter with the date of the sva.

Not sure if I was just lucky but the guy seemed to be human and was very helpful.

From experiance all I would say is keep nagging them.

Good Luck

Dan

Oh dear,

I've just sent off an application today! 20+ photos (none of me) and the original RH receipt, but now I'm concerned :o

Let us know how you get on!

Joel.

I'll keep you posted as to how I get on. Good luck on your application. Just hope someone can help me get over this small obstacle!!!!

cheers

Terry

Guest markhorton

When I applied for my SVA the DVLA were happy with 9 photo's. These showed the build in various stages from rolling chassis to nearly complete. I wasn't in any of them. This was sorted out in December just gone. My initial application was rejected and I had to submit further receipts and also have a phone call from a technician to confirm top speed and max power. It sounds like they are being a bit more stringent with their rules and regs.

Mark

poss not going to help , but the burden of proof is on them . you have made a statement that you have sworn to be correct .

i await to be wrong , wheres a solicitor when you need one, robin where are you .

graham

Guest boggybogstar

I only sent 5 photos with my application, I wasnt in any of them but I did make sure they were photos showing it being built in my garage, ie not close ups of parts of the car, to prove it was really built at home.

Didnt have any problems - at the SVA the guy asked if I had any other photos (he really wanted to see the outside seat belt mounts and how ell the chassis had been welded), I took a memory chip and a laptop and he ended up looking at loads of them just because he was interested rather than evidence

I only sent 5 photos with my application, I wasnt in any of them but I did make sure they were photos showing it being built in my garage, ie not close ups of parts of the car, to prove it was really built at home.

Didnt have any problems - at the SVA the guy asked if I had any other photos (he really wanted to see the outside seat belt mounts and how ell the chassis had been welded), I took a memory chip and a laptop and he ended up looking at loads of them just because he was interested rather than evidence

Hi Tony,

Done that also. 50-60% of the photo's are distant shots showing my very "small garage" and the car on the drive. Doesn't seem to have made much difference with them on this occassion.

Cheers

Terry

Same trouble got letter from vosa yesterday not enough proof of amatuer build, i bought it part done from a guy down south 4 years ago cann't remeber his name never mind his contact details, sent 15 photo's none with me on them but then it is hard to be in the photo's when your taking them. Also maximum road speed that i declared wasn't deemed to be fast enough 95mph, surely the top ROAD speed is 70mph isn't it?, I will be hassling them on the phone on monday to get try and get this sorted.

Same trouble got letter from vosa yesterday not enough proof of amatuer build, i bought it part done from a guy down south 4 years ago cann't remeber his name never mind his contact details, sent 15 photo's none with me on them but then it is hard to be in the photo's when your taking them. Also maximum road speed that i declared wasn't deemed to be fast enough 95mph, surely the top ROAD speed is 70mph isn't it?, I will be hassling them on the phone on monday to get try and get this sorted.

Looking more and more like a ploy to delay applications and extort even more money out of us for when the rules change!!!

Looking more and more like a ploy to delay applications and extort even more money out of us for when the rules change!!!

I love a conspiracy theory, but there does seem to be a common theme with this happening to people who bought part-built kits from other people, rather than those who bought the kit brand new from GBS/ RHE. Unfortunately I'm in this category too :huh:

What did people declare on the amatuer build declaration? I ticked the 'part built by another person, completed by me' option.

I bought mine part built from RHE. When I applied (last May) I sent photos and a lengthy letter explaining the car's history with photos of the various stages of the build. I also sent a thick file of receipts including the one from RHE. I remember that I couldn't decide which box to tick .. so thought I would write and explain my situation / ask their advice. Thre car had also been worked on by gingefix. I worked on the principle that I was being as open and honest as possible. Got a date by return.

I love a conspiracy theory, but there does seem to be a common theme with this happening to people who bought part-built kits from other people, rather than those who bought the kit brand new from GBS/ RHE. Unfortunately I'm in this category too :huh:

What did people declare on the amatuer build declaration? I ticked the 'part built by another person, completed by me' option.

Yep, I did the same. Ticked the part built by another person, Also included the bill of sale to me, reciepts from Robin Hood, certified letters, reciepts, photo's the lot! I'm now in the process of putting together war and peace to explain the cars build history. Hope this will now be sufficient? Fingers crossed..

Guest osteve123

Doh!

Only just put my application in last week, same situation as all you guy's. Sent 10 photo's, about 4 with me in. Also included the original receipt, my receipt when i bought it, V5, a previous owner statement, along with only the few receipts that i've had as most parts were bought by the previous owner who lost all of his!

Just praying they use some common sense!!!

I'll keep you all updated with how it goes on this thread.

Steve