Amateur Build Status

Tazzzzman1

UPDATE!!

Hi,

Just got off the phone to the SVA man. Looks like things are moving forward slowly....

They have now agreed to the amatuer build status on the back of the previous owners letter (Thanks Nick! ;) and the multitude of photo's I emailed (300 of the buggers) during the weekend.

However he still wants original reciepts for major items, which I have already supplied. I should hope to hear something end of the week if not to give them a call Monday.

The SVA guy did say that they were struggling to cope with current demand (as expected) and that any SVA applications not granted before 28th February will actually be cancelled!!! SO GET IN QUICK! unless you want to get stung £580 quid..... :huh:

I'll keep you posted as to outcome

Godd luck to the rest of you also in the same/ simailar boat!

cheers

Terry

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnboy2b

:o I have recently bought a part build 2b off my uncle and i am new on the kit car scene. I havent got any build evidence . Receipts or photos. I am really starting to worry about sva. I dont no where to start.

also my uncle said he was told by robin hood (8 years ago) to present the car for sva without the window screen cause it would fail on the corners or something. is this still the case or have the rules changed cause thats were i am at with the build.

cheers

john

:o I have recently bought a part build 2b off my uncle and i am new on the kit car scene. I havent got any build evidence . Receipts or photos....

To start with, get your uncle to write a letter stating when/where he got the kit, what state of build it was in, what he did to it, etc etc.

I assume your Uncle doesn't have any paperwork either? Get him to have a rummage around, and if he also bought the kit part-build, then see if you can contact the previous owner and ask him to write a similar letter.

Then, start taking pictures! Obviously you don't want to have to start dismantling the car, but try to get pictures of structural stuff - that's what the SVA guys like to see; like mounting points for seatbelts, handbrake, that kind of thing.

See if you can get hold of a Robin hood brochure from the 2B (richard stewart) era, as that has a good double page photo of a rolling 2B chassis with all the seatbelt points clearly visible.

HTH.

The windscreen part still holds true. There is no requirement whatsoever for a car to have a windscreen so if you leave it off then there's a whole bunch of potential "sharp" edges that you simply don't have to worry about. You also don't need windscreen washers, wipers or a demisting device. Once the car is through SVA or more likely from the sound of it IVA you can fit the screen. Obviously at that point you still need to be sure there are no edges that are actually sharp but there is middle ground between what a normal person would consider sharp and what the SVA test considers sharp - for the MOT and everyday use if you can run your hand over it without risk of cutting yourself then it's OK. Unless it can easily be removed or folded flat at the side of the road you also need wipers and washers once it's fitted but again you can fit things that are totally legal for the road but wouldn't pass SVA/IVA (my Mini has a washer bottle that wouldn't have the necessary capacity for example and yet it's perfectly capable of doing the job - and would be easy to fit in a Hood). As for a demisting device - well as far as a Seven style car is concerned that's just laughable and there is no requirement for one in the MOT so unless you have a burning desire to fit a heater of some sort simply forget about it.

Iain

The windscreen part still holds true. There is no requirement whatsoever for a car to have a windscreen so if you leave it off then there's a whole bunch of potential "sharp" edges that you simply don't have to worry about. You also don't need windscreen washers, wipers or a demisting device. Once the car is through SVA or more likely from the sound of it IVA you can fit the screen. Obviously at that point you still need to be sure there are no edges that are actually sharp but there is middle ground between what a normal person would consider sharp and what the SVA test considers sharp - for the MOT and everyday use if you can run your hand over it without risk of cutting yourself then it's OK. Unless it can easily be removed or folded flat at the side of the road you also need wipers and washers once it's fitted but again you can fit things that are totally legal for the road but wouldn't pass SVA/IVA (my Mini has a washer bottle that wouldn't have the necessary capacity for example and yet it's perfectly capable of doing the job - and would be easy to fit in a Hood). As for a demisting device - well as far as a Seven style car is concerned that's just laughable and there is no requirement for one in the MOT so unless you have a burning desire to fit a heater of some sort simply forget about it.

Iain

A cautionary note:

At B'ham in September when I got my pass the inspector was complementary that I had fitted screen + wipers etc. He said that as far as he was aware if there was any indication that a screen was going to be needed on the car when presented for IVA then it would fail without one. his comment was any 7 based kit needed a screen or aero screen so they should be fitted.

Guest johnboy2b

hi ,

thanks for all your help guys.

My uncle purchased the kit in 2000 and he built 95% of it and then lost interest and it sat in his garage until i bought it off him before xmas.

about 7 and a half years standing.So he hasnt much to give me as most of the parts came off one donor car and engine and box from another.

so i guess i will have to get busy with the camera and ask him to have another look for receipts. gr8 fun.

But apart from fitting cycle wings and brackets all i need to do is

1.find the correct throttle linkage and fit it.

2.renew some vacuum pipes and coolant hoses.

3.tidy up the bodywork with new edging trim

4. re-carpet the interior

Apart from a few other little bits and pieces shes ready to go (sva/ iva and all that crap aside)

Lets hope shes on the road for the summer.

cheers

john

UPDATE _ Rejected !!!

...on the grounds that the maximum power engine speed was too low (I think I put 5500rpm, which I thought was quite high!!), and I had submitted no receipts for major parts purchased during the build :(

So, straight on the phone to the man at VOSA (who was actually very nice and helpful), who said:

A scan of the Haynes manual would suffice for stating the engine power / speed (they actually want the bit that says 105bhp @ 6000rpm, or whatever)

and I explained that all the major parts came from a single donor, so he wanted to see a copy of the V5.

Easy enough you might think....

Unfortunately the V5 is currently in 'the system' having it's engine number changed. :wacko:

So, next onto the phone to speak to the nice lady at DVLA, who said that they have no record of my application to change V5 details, but there is a 4 week turnaround (I only posted it about 2-3 weeks ago), so it could be sitting in someone's in-tray waiting to be processed!!

She said to phone back in 7 days if I still haven't heard anything - Christ this is cutting it fine! :blink:

I do have a scan of the V5 I could send in, but it has the old engine number on, which might just cause more headaches further down the line..... :unsure:

UPDATE!!

After numerous emails and phone calls my perseverence has paid off

Spoke with a really pleasent guy at VOSA (the previous engineer dealing with my enquiry was on holiday) who checked my details and put me straight through to SVA office in Beverley.

I now have an SVA date of 24th Feb.

Crikey, thats a bit closer than expected, guess it less time to worry.

A few late nights coming up.

Moral to this is , keep making a pain of yourself. You will get there in the end! (Thats what the wife tells me anyway..)

Cheers

Terry

Guest combatsapph

Well done on getting the test date - tbh that's the hard bit out of the way :-)

Hope evrything goes ok and I look foward to reading your "SVA pass" thread in a few weeks time :-)

So what is actually required to prove Amateur Build Status ?

I have got the original V5 from the donor and the receipt from RH.

Have not done much on the build for lots of reasons but this year I intend on getting it done and possibly next year tested, all going well.

Any advise would be welcome.

So what is actually required to prove Amateur Build Status ?

I have got the original V5 from the donor and the receipt from RH.

Have not done much on the build for lots of reasons but this year I intend on getting it done and possibly next year tested, all going well.

Any advise would be welcome.

Hi Paul,

If it's a straight forward build then I thinks it's pretty straight forward. You will need reciepts for major items, copy of the original V5 and plenty of photo's showing the build in different states, ideally with you in them.

How ever what I found was that if you take on the vehicle as a part build and declare this, then it is a lot more difficult. I had to get a signed letter/ declaration from the previous owner stating he was an amatuer builder, signed photo's from him, a statement from him on what he did on the build, a statment from me on what I did, major reciepts ~(signed as certified) and as many photo's as I could muster. This was also accompanied by numerous phone calls to VOSA to hurry things along.

Hope this helps and good luck...

cheers

Terry

Guest bobster
Hi Tony,

Done that also. 50-60% of the photo's are distant shots showing my very "small garage" and the car on the drive. Doesn't seem to have made much difference with them on this occassion.

Cheers

Terry

hi im in the same position,but got no photos , no receipts and the same letter can you tell me how you got on

thanks nigel

hi im in the same position,but got no photos , no receipts and the same letter can you tell me how you got on

thanks nigel

Hi Nigel,

I was lucky that I had reciepts and managed to get the previous builder to put pen to paper and write a letter stating he was an amateur as well as signing a few photo's (if you get stuck with photo's pm me, got a few idea's!)

I was lucky and got my test date through this week.

cheers

Terry