Sierra 1.8 Diesel Estate

Guest lucavigg

Guest lucavigg

A friend of mine has just written off his K reg Sierra 1.8 Diesel Estate and has asked me if I want it for parts for my Zero.

I would probably want it if it had a Type 9 Gearbox and would also take a lot of other bits and the V5 and use it to get an age related plate for registration. Before I say yes however, I need to make sure that it is a Type 9 box. He lives quite a way from me and I don't think I will be able to get down there beforehand.

Can anyone help with what box is likely to be fitted to this car?

Thanks

Lucavigg

Guest salty_monk

I think it's an MT75, you should be able to use the front & rear axles though. MT75 can be made to fit standard chassis with some mods.

The MT75 came in with the Twin Cam petrol around h plate I think....

I may be wrong so check first :)

Guest lucavigg
I think it's an MT75, you should be able to use the front & rear axles though. MT75 can be made to fit standard chassis with some mods.

The MT75 came in with the Twin Cam petrol around h plate I think....

I may be wrong so check first :)

I think you may be right as the SIerra WIKI says that this car is too late for a Type 9. I think I'll have to pay him a visit. Only thing is, he rang Ford and quoted them the VIN and they said it was a Type 9!

I think I might get it anyway just for the V5 and the other bits.

Thanks

Lucavigg

ask where reverse is. if its up next to 1st its a type 9 if its down opposite 5th its a mt75. I have a feeling ive heard it said diesel boxes have different ratios to petrol that make them better in a hood, but i may be wrong on that one. hth

Guest salty_monk

Easier to register the engine change now.. but not if it's written off maybe.

Not sure about the ratios on the diesel gearbox, may well be different, won't be if it's a type 9 I don't think. The V6 did have better ratios but some mods needed to fit it.

You should also check the input shaft, make sure it's not any different.

Rear axle could be something really tall like a 3.38 (worth a lot of money to the bike engined boys). It also might have the bigger 9.5" diff on it that may not fit... The big one has short bolts with blind bolt holes, the small one has two through bolts. Ask me if you need a pic.

Dan :)

Guest lucavigg

It isn't actually written off yet. He's selling it to me and then I will declare it SORN. Can someone explain how I declare an engine change so that I can use the registration on my Zetec based ZERO?

As far as all the other bits are concerned, I don't actually need any of them. I might keep some major bits for spares and I might need to use the loom as GBS seem to be delayed on their looms.

Thanks

Luca

Guest chris brown
Can someone explain how I declare an engine change so that I can use the registration on my Zetec based ZERO?

Yes just fill in the change details on the V5 and send it off to DVLA (don’t foget to change the fuel to petrol at the same time). But before you strip the Sierra to much stick the Zetec in it so at least it looks like it is fitted in and working and take some photos as you may have to prove the engine was in the Sierra prior to you striping it (VOSA have got rather fussy about such things lately)

Guest lucavigg
....... But before you strip the Sierra to much stick the Zetec in it so at least it looks like it is fitted in and working and take some photos as you may have to prove the engine was in the Sierra prior to you striping it (VOSA have got rather fussy about such things lately)

Put the Zetec in the Sierra? OMG That's going to be a pain. How about some nifty Photoshop work or will they come and inspect it?

Luca

Guest chris brown
Put the Zetec in the Sierra? OMG That's going to be a pain. How about some nifty Photoshop work or will they come and inspect it?

Luca

Just stick it in the hole and stand it on bricks if necessary just so it looks like it was fitted in and running at one time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lucavigg
Just stick it in the hole and stand it on bricks if necessary just so it looks like it was fitted in and running at one time.

Do you think they'll want to come and see it?

Luca

No I don't think so as it will be in scrap yard by then.

Change engine on v5 its only a number an fuel type change

Strip sierra take a loads of pics of zetec in engine bay on beer crate tidy up in photo shop.

This is to show dvla when you go to register the kit/ zero/ hood as proof of engine fitted to donor so you get an age related plate ( other wise may end up with a Q plate.)

The rest of the sierra is in the scrap yard now or made in to a tin of beans.

Worst case is you get a Q plate.

Think how do people get a bike engine kit or a v 8 in one. You can fit what ever you like.

Stephen