Group Buy - Improved 2b Wishbones

Joel

Joel,sorry,haven't been in the work-shop this week-end (fine weather = work in garden clearing winter damage) do you still want the wish-bone measurements? Your latest post would give a very soft ride as the load is able to compress the spring more easily (I think?)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... do you still want the wish-bone measurements?

I guess so, Dan's the man to ask on that front as he's sorting out the technical wizardry stuff - I made a start on measuring the side profile, but if you can fill in the blanks that'd be great.

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi All,

My man here has asked for the dimension of the original 2B wishbones (so he can benchmark the existing setup), has anyone got this info to hand?

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Dan_Beeston

While you're at it.............

Any chance you could measeure up (in three dimensions, nothings ever easy is it?) the trailing arm rear suspension?

My man here wants to make sure any front wishbone design complements the roll/pitch centres etc of the rear suspension.

It's all getting very technical/comlicated this end......................

Guest salty_monk

Just to let you know... the fixings on the chassis & the wishbones themselves aren't exactly built to a tight tolerance, you can see that they are different on almost every car. Not a big issue but it means the new wishbones will need to have some adjustment (like now with the bundle of washers...) in order to fit every car. :)

• 1 month later...
i was just wondering what is happening with regards to the re-design?!

I think it's still on the cards, but myself and Dan have got a bit waylaid with our respective projects of late - Dan with his turbo nutter installation, and I'm frantically trying to finish the longest engine swap in history in time for Stoneleigh!

I also think focus has moved slightly onto making an extended top-hat / dummy strut (call it what you will) thing, as it seems to be a more immediate geometry fix, in the short term at least.

Things should quieten down a bit after Stoneleigh though, so I'll have a bit more time to think about it, and I'll keep you posted of any developments.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

What are you proposing in way of improvement and as a suggestion would it be possable to alow for easyer adjustment of camber IE not having to take out top ball joint adjust refit check take out again re adjust. #

COuld this not be acieved by having the ball joint thread lengthened, drilling the hole out and adding 2nuts either side to lock the thread?

Guest Dan_Beeston

I've been thinking about this myself recently............

The camber adjusters on Westie's etc are an internally threaded tube that is free to turn inside a wishbone tube which is welded into the middle of the V of the wishbone (so it is possible to get to both ends of the tube for adjustment)

Because of the position of the pickups on the 2B, the wishbone tube that is perpendicular to the side of the car is itself threaded to take the ball joint, which means it is not possible to get to the back end of it. This is why the whole ball joint needs to be rotated to adjust the camber.

I can't work out an easy way of changing this with modifying the chassis pickups (which we are trying to avoid doing) :(

However, the first part of the plan is to fabricate some new upright inserts to improve the geometry of the upper wishbone. As this will involve moving the cycle wing mounts onto the upright instead of on the insert itself it should be easier to pull the insert out of the upright and rotate it to alter the camber (as you don't have to try & spin the whole cycle wing assembly round!)

Clear as mud? :)