Group Buy - Improved 2b Wishbones

Joel

Guest Phil Slater

I've read the latest article in the magazine and through the posts again but could someone please confirm that the proposed new wishbones are OK for the 2B+ chassis (purchased Nov 2002). If they do I'm another who would definitely be interested in a set including modfied dummy struts as well.

Phil Slater

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest old_timbo

Phil,

The wishbones I designed have only been fitted to my 2B+ which was collected in May 2002. However I don't think the design changed all the time RHSC was making the 2B. I was reading an old catalogue today and it looks like the Superspec design is the same as well but I'm less certain about this until I get to see one close-up. I was hoping to get up to Stoneleigh, but my fixed scuttle conversion is taking much longer than planned :(

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in too please. Have you firmed up on a price?

I wouldn't need the dummy struts, as I've already done this mod.

I have the old struts still to hand though (I think) if they'd be of any use to you?

Phil,

The wishbones I designed have only been fitted to my 2B+ which was collected in May 2002. However I don't think the design changed all the time RHSC was making the 2B. I was reading an old catalogue today and it looks like the Superspec design is the same as well but I'm less certain about this until I get to see one close-up. I was hoping to get up to Stoneleigh, but my fixed scuttle conversion is taking much longer than planned :(

Tim

Tim,

If it helps, I can measure the wishbones on my SuperSpec (Rover engined) and let you know the dimensions (& provide pics and rough drawing).

Let me know.

Al

Guest old_timbo

Al,

That would be useful, as well as pictures particularly of the top wishbone chassis mounts. I suspect that these have been repositioned lower on the Superspec which would help with the angle of the top wishbone. When you jack your car up at the front, what do the wheels do? If they build negative camber as the suspension extends, the same problem exisits as with a wishbone 2B. What does the self centering of the steering and feed back feel like? If it is all a bit numb then more caster will help.

Grizzly,

Prices are as per my post in the For Sale section. Your old struts could be usefull if you can find them, however I'm going to see how long it takes me to turn up new strut tops with a machined-in taper first. If this works out, then I can forget about using existing ones.

Tim

Hi Tim,

OK. No rush for me as it'll probably be a winter job.

Let me (us) know how you get on with the 'turning'.

When you have a set of top wishbones only ready to post out, send me a PM and I'll get some beer tokens off to you.

Many Thanks for this... Much appreciated.

Hi Tim,

Can't say about how the steering feels and centres as I am still building :rolleyes: , but am sure one of the other 'Speccers can help out.

As for the negative camber, haven't got a clue, total divvy on this, sorry.

But with the wheels in the straight ahead, they are roughly 2.5 degrees out at the top from the vertical leaning outboard - does this make sense? (Measured with an angle finder on a spirit level, so not too accurate).

Hope the pics help (here's one) and the drawing makes sense.

Al

post-1475-1273165137_thumb.jpg

Guest old_timbo

Al,

The top wishbone is identical to the std. 2B one, and the photos show that the same geometry issue that the extended strut sorts out exists too. The chassis mounting points look the same as on the 2B, but can't be sure until measurements are taken. However the shock mounts both on the bottom wishbone and the chassis are different. Probably not a issue but again needs to be checked out properly.

Tim