Piston Size In A 2.1 Pinto

speedtripledan

Guest chris brown
What is the diameter of pistons in a 2.1 pinto ?

Dan

Normally used 2.8 ltr Cologne V6 pistons which are 93.03 to be precise but I think Mitch’s 93 is near enough

Guest chris brown
Looks like i,ve been had again by GBS i bought a "recon 2.1 pinto" from them a while back, just had the head off and the pistons are 91.296 so one would assume that its not 2100cc. :80:

Dan

no it's a +0.5 i.e. first rebore on a 2ltr

Over size pistons at +2.25 are available to get 2.1 and are a straight swap.

The V6 pistons which are 93mm or in my case 92.835 are not a straight forward fit as the piston deck height is 1.5mm lower giving you a 2.1L low compression engine (8.2 to 1).

The Cosworth rods are 1.5mm longer but the piston pins are not press fit so the pistons need to be machined for circlips.

Two types of V6 piston are available the AE piston which is good for 7500 rpm max and 10.5 to 1 compression ratio, the Kolbienschmit which is the better piston can go to 8000 rpm if your rods can take it.

I,m going to leave the engine as is now it was a recon just not 2100 and after getting 130bhp with bike carbs on the dyno saturday the dyno guy said i was better off saving my money and going zetec or red top.

So get this summer out of the way and find another more modern lump for the winter

Dan