Rear Drum Brakes

codo

Hi Guys,

I've just started preparing my parts from my GBS Donor Pack and am currently sorting out the rear drums.

Just wondered if you could suggest where I could get the parts to replace the rather rusty originals. For safety I am only looking at reusing the back plate. Do I need to get the parts from Ford, or are there any other sources you would recommend.

Any part numbers, etc would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Guest Tony Tank
Hi Guys,

I've just started preparing my parts from my GBS Donor Pack and am currently sorting out the rear drums.

Just wondered if you could suggest where I could get the parts to replace the rather rusty originals. For safety I am only looking at reusing the back plate. Do I need to get the parts from Ford, or are there any other sources you would recommend.

Any part numbers, etc would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

You may need to reuse the auto adjuster bits , but the drums, cylinders, shoes and springs should be available via your local motor factors or car parts shop.

Tank ;)

I am sure Graham on here (Bone) has a spare set of drum brakes, well he should have I gave them to him. Check with him before buying anything anyways. You can always purchase a new set of cylinders from local motor factors, no need for Ford originals.

GMS Capri Spares have a big range of stock including most brake bits including adjusters new/old stock. Cheap. Know what they're doing, know old ford parts better than 99.99999% of people who work for ford.

Web addy is gmscaprispares.co.uk

Nigel

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

One other small question, one of the rear brake backpates is still on the drive shaft, but doesn't want to slide off as it says it should in the Haynes manual. The driveshafts have some surface rust, but I have wire brushed this down with no luck. Any ideas on how to get this off and back on once both parts have been painted?

Cheers,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest smartfazer

Hi Guys,

I'm now after a complete set of rear drum brakes etc, as all I have is the backplates as attached to the Hubs/driveshafts.

Is it possible to work out which set of rear brakes (backplates) I have, so that I know what I need to order? I understand that there may be different sizes out there?

Does anybody have any lurking in their garage that are in need of a good home?

Thanks as always.