Thermostats

speedtripledan

i,ve been running my tuned 2.0L pinto for a while now and have never had a stat in, it runs at approx 70deg when moving then increases in traffic but never overheats.

Ive just put a stat in as the engine should in theory be running about 85deg.

Took it for a thrash and it goes better :D and the temp just stays 85 to 90 as most normal cars do.

Just wondering if the majority use a stat or not ?

Dan

Guest Tim Norman

I was always told to never run without one. Takes too long to warm up and the engine temp is never constant. But I do like to run my engines as cool as possible. I ran the pinto with a 74 degree thermostat. The V8, when its moving, runs at just over 80. But then again I do have 3 rads on it!

Guest shaggy

I ran the V8 without for ages, and it never ran that well, especially below 150F. Took it for a RR session and the guy said that's one of the reasons for poor running as the temp should be around 180F before the stat opens. Runs soooo much better now with the stat in.

Si

It always seems incredibly old technology but given that a car has adequate cooling capacity the thermostat is the only bit responsible for maintaining and controlling the engine running temperature. Most engines have a narrow temperature band that they are safe to run at without having excessive and rapid wear (zetecs hate being cold) or crisping their head gaskets (K series hate being too hot) etc. Always run with one. If the engine overheats with it in then you don't have adequate cooling capacity and that's the designers fault, a malfunction or other failure, not the fault of a working thermostat. It's praise indeed for the thermostat that when everything else on the engine is computer controlled, manufacturers have not come up with a better way of controlling engine running temperature.

Nigel