Oil Cooler

speedtripledan

i need an oil cooler, pipes and take off 4 a pinto £££ waiting

Dan

Do you actually need one, I'll bet not. Have you got a gauge that shows the oil temp, as you'll find that under normal driving it will be exactly the same temp as the water more or less, only when you've given it some serious thrashing for a good few miles will the oil temp creep up a bit, but will soon return to normal once ordinary driving is resumed.

I thought that I needed a cooler on the vauxhall engine, but bought an oil temp gauge and sender (the sender is in the sump plug) and was amazed with what I found.

Just caned mine and water went to 85 but oil 110 even with oil cooler.

One tip though if you do go for an oil cooler use bolt on Jic fittings and swaged on fittings, i popped an oil pipe last weekend, the pipes were jubily clipped on.

Its not pretty, the car got covered inside and out in hot black oil and i don't know as yet wether the bearing ran dry at all

As per Jim's comments but if you really insist what about getting a water cooled oil cooler. Simple to fit, no pipes to leak and come as standard on many cars. This comes as standard on the ST170 engine. Had something almost identical on the old 309. Simple plumbing for the water although possible slight increase in load on the rad. Haven't yet decided if it is staying on or going in the spares drawer.

Nigel

post-21-1243698321_thumb.jpg

In this weather the oil is running at 80deg when below 50mph but as soon as you start giving it some beans it shoots up to 95deg + then over the cat and fiddle it went up to 115deg thought it might be safer.

anything over 100 i,m told is asking for trouble.

Dan