Iva Fail At Chadderton (superspec)

harvs

Had my IVA test yesterday, which wasn't as bad as I had feared! The tester was really fair - talking my through what test he was doing, what he was looking for etc and giving advice on how to make things better.

Now, the list of fail points...!

1. Speedo not working (it was working when I set off, but broke when I got to 70mph!)

2. Side lights not working (they had been, so I'm hoping it's just a fuse)

3. Need to have a manufactures plate attached to chassis

4. Need to strengthen the underfloor where the inner seat and seatbelt bolts are attached. (Think this will be the most tricky bit to fix, but could look at adding a steel bar all the way across the car)

5. Rear reflectors need to be 90 degrees to road

6. Need reversing lights (these were not required for SVA, but are for IVA)

7. Wiring near the exhaust pipes - need to insulate for heat better

8. Fuel tank leak - I'd filled the tank up pretty full (as requested for the test) and when the car jumped about getting on and off the test rollers some petrol escaped through the vent - need to route the vent a bit higher up

9. Various additional trim and nyloc nuts to be added and to tidy a couple of bits of wireing, but nothing major.

So, hopefully not too bad a list. I'm really pleased it passed the emissions test as I'd heard that some of the superspecs had had some problems.

It felt like the IVA was pretty similar to the SVA with a few more requirements rather than a completely new set of daunting requirements! So for anyone else who didn't get their SVA application in on time or is still building, there hopefully isn't too much to worry about. A few of the new requirements (from what I picked up yesterday, not a complete list) are...

1. Seats must have support for the head

2 Brake fluid reservoir must have a Dot 4 label

3. Manufacturers plate (I believe you can make these yourself)

4. Reverse lights

Now I've got a to-do list, I can crack on and work through them. Will likely be back soon to ask for some help though!

Harvs

Guest kleighton

Every credit, nice one Harvs. Doesn't sounds like a nightmare of a list.

I haven't fitted a reverse light either, another one of those little jobs to add to the list.

Thanks

Keith

One question - did you have windscreen fitted ?

Yep. I've got to add some additional trim to the front edge, between the pillar support and the frame. I'd added trim to the other edges of the supports and thought the front edge would be ok, but obviously not. The glass has some etching on which seamed to be ok - think it was E17 in a circle.

The wipers worked well, which was handy as I went through a couple of showers!

Guest zoomzoom

Nice one thats a ''good'' fail well done, don't forget to get your papers into the dvla now and you never know you could be on the road in 4-5 months :blink: :blink: :cray:

Marcus

Guest sadjagboy

Well done, that's not a very daunting list. Only biggish item is the additional floor and seat belt support, a nice strong bit of angle or box section at B&Q has your name on it!

It's very reasuring for those of us that are still building, that a hoodie will actually be able to pass IVA. You can buy a manufactures plate from GBS, they are on ebay usually too.

well done on that little lot nothing to grim there wont be long before your on the road just a quicky as you are taking the car to chadderton on thursdays dvla are there as well in the afternoon from trafford park so if you give them a ring for an appointment on a thursday as well takeing your car back for the re test two birds with one stone

Guest LukieZ

well done. you are right in that its very similar to SVA and the guys are generally friendly and want to help you to pass. lots of edge trim was used everywhere imaginable! and i did achieve a pass on 4th June

mine nearly failed on the head rest even tho its a GBS one, the head rest itself isn't fixed. just as well as it needed to be higher so a couple of tubes and glue saved the day.

used a sticker off a mondeo and wrote 'DOT 4' on it and stuck it on the reservoir, plus the guy who finished the car for me already fixed a GBS plate and stamped it on my behalf

as for the reverse light, it wasn't a problem for me since i wanted one to mirror the fog light on the other side but didn't know it was required - thought it was just to have a reverse gear which affects the bike engined cars.

be good to see the IVA passes grow now, so fingers crossed to the remaining builders out there

post-2599-1245187035_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for the photo Andy - it really helps. Is that a flat bar all the way across, or is it angle bar for some of the streatch? Is it something like 4mm thick?

LukieZ - yep, congratulations on your fist time IVA pass! When news of the new regulations came out, I bet there weren't many people thinking they'll be first time passes so soon! Hope you get it registered soon too :)

Hi Harvs,

Its 3mm thick and is angle most of the way along (just out of shot).

Hope this helps,

Andy

Yes, it does. Thanks Andy. I got the car back on its axle stands last night so can start to get stuck into it tonight.... :D