Enough To Drive You To Drink

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Hi

A few weeks ago now after a talk to the SVA man at the Liverpool test station.

He advised me to contact Chester and arrange for a build up inspection and VIN No. This should be followed by an MOT and then the SVA. He even helped me fill in the form.

The request was made over the phone and I was told that my local traffic police would contact me. A few days later sure enough 2 gentlemen in a Blue and Yellow Volvo called at my at my house, had a cup of coffee (Just like Jim and the North West boys when they turn up), after a bit of tyre kicking they said they where happy ( all the serial Nods seemed in order ) , and I should receive a letter from Chester in a few days with my Vin No. ( Chester would not let me use the No I wanted too (( RH receipt no and date etc)).) When this is stamped on the car give us a us a ring and we will call and confirm that everything is OK. At this point they said this was the first time they had been asked to do this.

Days became weeks and still no Vin No. So today I decided to chase up my VIN No. After a few calls and automated messages Oh and a lot of f’in and blinding by me I got in the car and went to the DVLA in Chester. More cursing by me after taking a ticket from an automated cuing system saw me sitting there with ticket No 150 while the person with ticket No 159 was being seen. When eventually I was called the person on the desk couldn’t answer my question so referred me to the guy who was dealing with ticket holder 159.

The first question I was asked was my surname because this is how they decide who deals with your application. 1st and only bit of luck the guy I was talking too dealt with the part of the alphabet which the first letter of my surname begins with. I told him the tale so far, he looked at me as if I was daft and said no that’s not the way it works, and this is what you need to do.

1 Fill in a build up inspection form (which I already had)

2 Fill in a First licence application form (Which he gave me)

3 Return these with the donor V5 and all receipts (Must be originals not copies) after which they will notify me of the VIN and a day to take the car for them to inspect. (Thinks second bit of luck a legal drive to Chester about 30 miles round trip if you take the scenic route). No such luck the car must be trailered there and back he informed me with a smile. At this point I asked about the police inspection and couldn’t he use that or call at my house to carry out the inspection. Sorry was the reply the suits upstairs have stopped us doing visits because of the claims for petrol was too costly.

4 Fill in an SVA application and when it passes bring the paperwork in and we will issue you an age related plate within a couple of days.

What about an MOT I asked. Oh no you don’t need one of those until the second time you tax it (We have just had a notice through about that) if you tax it the first time for 12 months then that when the MOT is due, if you only tax it for 6 months the MOT is due in 6 months

It’s now nearly 9.00 and my head has just stopped hurting.

Tomorrow I am going to B&Q to buy a piece of timber 2in X 8in X 8ft ( A PLANK ) to lean against the wall in the garage to practice talking to ready for when I take my car for him to inspect.

Phil

PS As I was leaving he said he was in Glasgow next week on a course about changes planned for inspections and SVA applications.

Guest Battery Bill

Phil

What a lot of *bleep*s did you punch him? I think I would, especially when he said

if you tax it the first time for 12 months then that when the MOT is due, if you only tax it for 6 months the MOT is due in 6 months

I only hope Lincoln are better <_< I have spoke to one person here and he was really helpful so fingers crossed.

Bill, the six month/twelve month MOT thing has been in force for three years. When I first registered after SVA I taxed for six months and the renewal form from Swansea demanded an MOT. However Exeter DVLA said thats buzcocks and did me a six month disc without an MOT. (Some departments still had a hold on common sense in those days) By contrast I remember someone posting that they had three years MOT free motoring.

National Health has post code prescribing, we have post code MOT rules.

Nigel

Guest mark kingston

when mine was registered it stated i dont need a mot for 3 years from date of registration..... and i have re taxed it twice now without being asked for a mot...

mind i have been having one carried out just for my own piece of mind should i get pulled over by the boys in blue.

it seems each centre has or makes up its own rules (or may be each person at each centre decides his own he he ) so it is just pot luck.

I was also allowed to drive mine to the centre for the build up inspection and got a letter from them stating it was legal to do so (took it with me in case i was stopped as at that stage a car like that being driven down the motorway with out number plates sticks out like a sore thumb.)

as at that stage i had already had the sva test carried out against the chassis number which i had made up and stamped on car, i was issued with a registration mark and tax disc the same day.

Mind i had to leave them to it for a few hours and phone up to see if it was done and go back and collect it, it turned out time i got the hood home and phoned it was ready so it was in to the tin top and straight back there again.

regards

Mark kingston

There was an article in one of the kit car magazines recently that clearly stated that kit cars were now exempt from MOTs for 3 years from the SVA date, just like a newly built car. If only I could remember which mag it was in. <_<

Daz

Guest Battery Bill

Daz

It was "Which *bleep*" because Detail Dean was going on about it.

Its daft that it is up to the local folk to decide when it needs an MOT, when I spoke to Lincoln DVLA they said its 3 years without needing an MOT, Hope we get the same person to do ours on the day <_<

hi all

i to am thinking about sva and what i need to , and in what order it needs to be done after what phil says is it

1 Fill in a build up inspection form

2 Fill in aform

3 apply for sva

is this correct or am i missing something else, i did want to m.o.t my 2b before sva just to have every thing double checked , could i do this after First licence application im about 1 month off being ready for sva hopefully, so should i start the ball rolling now ?

thanks for any advice ant.. :unsure:

Kit Car mag (in Oct last year) stated that STATUS had got written confirmation from the DVLC that an MOT is not needed for registration of donor built cars receiving an age related plate. Also if the V55/5 was completed with the current year instead of the year the donor was registered you didn't need an MOT for three years and you'd still get an age related plate. Hope this helps. Andy C :rolleyes:

Hi Ant

Just looked at you're web site, looking good :D

Right, get in contact with you're local DVLC office to start the ball rolling, make an apointment for a built up inspection. (It doesnt have to be finished for this as they only check the engine number against the doner details).

stamp on the chassi number in two places.

i used invoice + date i picked the kit up and my initials.

RHE01234122001MCG

I didnt have trouble with this just showed the receipt and they were happy.

Fill in SVA form as soon as possible, as it could take several weeks to get an apointment.

If you want a MOT do it, its up to you, they check you're brakes (which if faulty you can make right before sva).and gives you peace of mind when driving to the SVA. find a local friendly garage that will do it.

I will be getting a mot every year,i only get charged £20 and it gives me chance to check for brake wear and to have a good look underneath whilst it's on the ramps

Good luck with the test.

MItch

Just noticed you're in Stockport, do a search for Fred2b posts and check how he went on at Manchester DVLA

Guest Battery Bill

Mitch

I will be getting a mot every year,i only get charged £20 and it gives me chance to check for brake wear and to have a good look underneath whilst it's on the ramps

£20 to get them to do that! you lazy bugger, You built it ! you know more about it than them, How long does it take to check your brake pads? :lol: :lol:

No MOT for me (I Hope) :lol:

Guest Phil in Cheshire

The plan

All documents scanned and hard copys printed off

All paper work filled in and posted with original documents enclosed (registered post so they cant say they didnt get them)

While waiting for DVLA to advise of date for inspection take for MOT (No matter what they say it will make me feel better)

SVA form filled in and request for Manchester as the test center with Liverpool as reserve.(will post as soon as build up inspection is carried out)

The big question is how to get it to Chester has anybody used an A frame to tow a 3a or will i need to borrow a trailer or tow dolly.

Phil

PS Will keep you posted om my progress or lack of.

PPs pity theres no smilie with crossed fingers :lol: