Twin 40s Fuel And Bike Carbs

series3

Hi ppl,

My 2L with twin 40s is quite thirsty on the juice at the moment returning about 18MPG on a steady run! I'm going to get Wolves Tuning round to balance the carbs and to see if they are over fuelling but i have heard alot about these bike carbs. I have searched the forum with items related to the bike carbs but there seem to be alot of discussion regarding jet sizes etc. Do you thing its worth selling the 40s and getting the bike carbs? Will it really return 30MPG at a push and still go like the clappers when needed?

Guest smegheadsteve

Something to consider is the cost of the conversion.

Carbs,New manifold,rolling road tune.Could end up costing over £400(unless you can make your own manifold)!

How long would it take you to get all that money back just by having better MPG?

It's not that straightforward either,I'm still fiddling.The first carbs I bought(GSXR600)aren't up to the job.So I bought some ZX6R carbs which I need to respace then fit,then another rolling road session!

Good luck.

Steve.

Guest Tim Norman

I must have been doing something wrong. My last Hood had a stage three head, Road rally cam and twin 45's and on a steady run up the motor way I was getting 35+ mpg. Granted around Donington on a track day I managed just over 5!

Something to consider is the cost of the conversion.

Carbs,New manifold,rolling road tune.Could end up costing over £400(unless you can make your own manifold)!

How long would it take you to get all that money back just by having better MPG?

It's not that straightforward either,I'm still fiddling.The first carbs I bought(GSXR600)aren't up to the job.So I bought some ZX6R carbs which I need to respace then fit,then another rolling road session!

Good luck.

Steve.

18 MPG v 35 shall we say.

At £1.08 a L for petrol at the moment, are paying a fraction under a fiver for a gallon or £0.28 per mile.

With the conversion that will reduce to £0.14 saving you 14p per mile.

£400 / £0.14 means it would have paid for itself in 2857 miles.

Guest smegheadsteve

Good point,and if you can do a cheap manifold you could do it for a a lot less than £400.

I only did 600 miles last year(mot to mot),shameful I know.That would take a few years to get your money back.