2.0 Ltr Pinto Engine Running Problem

duncthediver

Hope someone can give me some advice. I have had a replacement 2.0ltr Pinto Engine fitted to the car. It has a stage one head and 205 block and has been re conditioned with say just over 100m miles covered. The engine runs strong for say half an hour then the engine will start to pink and the power drops. Could there be a simple explanation for this. :unknw:

Guest Ian & Carole

Fuel starvation when hot?

Is the filler cap vented? When it starts to play up open the filler cap and listen carefully if there is a suck as you open the cap

Does it re-start OK when cooled down?

What ignition system are you running? is the coil over heating?

We really need some more info. on the spec. you are running.

Hi

Pretty sure its not a fuel problem (I was with Duncan when he broke down on his way to Stafford show Saturday). :rolleyes:

The car was running on 3 cylinders, although it did appear to be getting a good spark.

Duncan, I would check all plugs are giving a good spark, then would look at the suggestion of coil over heating/ breaking down or even look at the HT leads for leakage/ breaking down. From what I saw/ heard would definately look down the electrical route first. :good:

Guest trackerjack

It sure sounds like a blocked vented cap to me.

Do you have a choke, use it when it starts pinking, if it improves you have a fuel problem.

Maybe one of the hoses is breaking down internally.

When it does it I would declutch and switch off engine and take the top off the carb to see if the fuel is where it should be.

It sure sounds like a blocked vented cap to me.

Do you have a choke, use it when it starts pinking, if it improves you have a fuel problem.

Maybe one of the hoses is breaking down internally.

When it does it I would declutch and switch off engine and take the top off the carb to see if the fuel is where it should be.

Thanks guys for all your comments, the lad who put my engine in is tonight looking at the problem, he thinks its an electrical problem ie electronic ignition wiring, coil etc.

Will post.

Thanks again ;)