Right Hand Drive Shaft Is Leaking At Hub End?

Guest phil howard

Guest phil howard

My right hand drive shaft (brand new) is leaking at hub end......I have checked the boot and it is not there, it seems to be right at the hub but there doesn't seem to be any where it can come from. The leak is small (about a table spoon) but given there can't be much oil/grease in the joint is a cause for concern.

Any one had similar or has any good ideas?

Cheers

phil

Assuming this is a Sierra rear hub we are talking about, once the brake drum (or caliper) has been removed, just undo the large nut (Bloody seriously tight! good socket and long tube req'd, easiest to slacken slightly with wheel still on etc) then pull off the hub, you can then change the rear seal in the hub.

The hubs don't have oil in, but grease.

Reading your post again, is it the CV joint on the driveshaft you mean? if so, you need to either strip it down to replace the rubber boot, or I believe you can get a "split" boot, that you glue the joint up once fitted. (other will say where you can get these I've no doubt)

As you're discription is somewhat unclear, a photo would help.

Guest phil howard
Assuming this is a Sierra rear hub we are talking about, once the brake drum (or caliper) has been removed, just undo the large nut (Bloody seriously tight! good socket and long tube req'd, easiest to slacken slightly with wheel still on etc) then pull off the hub, you can then change the rear seal in the hub.

The hubs don't have oil in, but grease.

Reading your post again, is it the CV joint on the driveshaft you mean? if so, you need to either strip it down to replace the rubber boot, or I believe you can get a "split" boot, that you glue the joint up once fitted. (other will say where you can get these I've no doubt)

As you're discription is somewhat unclear, a photo would help.

I'll get a photo tonight.

The hub/shaft is a sierra.

The leak seems to be as the around the hub / bearing carrier, the CV boot is dry and looks new.

I wouldn't put it past the wife to put some oil on the floor just to watch me freak out.......(does that make me sound paranoid?)

is this a lobro driveshaft? if so, check where the driveshaft blots to the hub end, on the two mating surfaces. I've had a leak from a couple of those, which has sprayed grease around!

I'm not sure if there is supposed to be any sealant on the mating faces but it would seem like a good idea.

Guest phil howard

post-3716-1253882721_thumb.jpg

The mysterious leak seems to be at the hub carrier end of the drive shaft, the boot is dry and not damaged.

I am pulling it apart tonight.....so hopefully that will reveal something.

Phil

post-3716-1253882768_thumb.jpg

Guest phil howard
Think its the rear seal on the hub carrier same as Big Jim but it should be grease

unless the bearing is starting to go and heating up .throwing the grease out

jon

I stripped it out and re assembled (I needed to change the diff seal) it but I couldn't find anything wrong at the hub end.......anyway it stayed dry over night.

The wife denys any hand in this ........ but she would,

Regards

Slightly Paranoid of Aboyne.

It'll be all reet!

The hub should have copious amounts of grease in, not oil, so it's not that, the drive shaft joints have a very dark grey runnier

carbon type grease in, so it's not that. It MUST be the wife!!!! :D :D :o

any more terrorist doings, and we'll have to pay her a visit!! ;) :D