Front Caliper Slider Bolts

Grizzly

Guest Ian & Carole

Steve

Having had the problem more than once it is defo. worth a try.

Inside face of the disc and the face of the hub really should be spotless metal to metal, nearly as clean as head and block surfaces when you change a head gasket.

I would even clean the hub and caliper mounts where they bolt together for good measure, they could be holding the caliper a couple of thou. out of true.

Hi Grizzly, if it helps mate i'm just breaking an 88' 2.0 pinto with vented discs etc, your's free of charge (dics, calipers etc) if you want to try them before leaking gold coins on a new set-up.

HTH,

Nick.

Steve, I got through a couple of sets of discs on my old sierra (they were pattern ones) they just warp extremely slightly at the vent holes in the discs. I can't quite see if the thickness is constant but the disc is not sitting true that you would feel much difference in braking as all that happens is the caliper floats slightly. I have solid discs on my hood and not had any problems in 13 years! Probably something will next week now I have said that :huh:

Hi All,

Had a bit of a Eureka moment last night.

My hubs are powder coated and it occured to me that the chances of the powder coating being uniformally even are probably pretty slim.

I'll inspect further, but reckon that I probably need to remove the powder coating from the hub face where it mates to the disc.

Looked into some sort of runout guage, but they're pretty rare (and expensive).

Any thoughts Guys??

Well you seems to have got to the probable cause now, but as regards gauges, just look on ebay for "dial test indicators". There are plenty there and many are pretty cheap.

SteveW

Thanks for this.

I've an engineer coming round next weekend I think. A friend of my next door neighbour who's happy to oblige.

I did look on ebay but obviously wasn't looking for the right thing.

Yes, maybe worth getting one anyway.

Thanks again.