Megajolt

Guest The Modfather

Its progammable ignition that you can play around with your laptop to get optimum performance throughout rev range, or better mileage or 95/97 ron gas usage (i believe) You can also switch between either modes. A rolling road would be for the optimum though.

You will also need a trigger wheel and a VR sensor .

And the Pinto is one of the most used engines for this.

Andi

I mounted the trigger wheel on the back of the crank pulley and the coil pack in place of the distributor on my pinto. Starts, idles and runs much better than the standard electronic ignition and easy to play with ignition mapping using a laptop:

post-347-1261002176_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chelcott
I mounted the trigger wheel on the back of the crank pulley and the coil pack in place of the distributor on my pinto. Starts, idles and runs much better than the standard electronic ignition and easy to play with ignition mapping using a laptop:

post-347-1261002176_thumb.jpg

what happens at dizzy do you seal off where dizzy shaft goes

• 4 weeks later...
Guest chelcott
No, you cut off the top of an old distributor and then add a plate to mount the coil pack on. You must re-use the bottom of the distributor as the shaft drives the oil pump.

post-347-1263327111_thumb.jpg

thanks for that understand this now there is no direct link with dizzy megajolt manages HT current to plugs so you could have new dizzy top anywhere providing old dizzy ablanked off sufficiently to prevent oil coming back up?

Old dizzy top will be in the bin, or still on top of the old dizzy. It no longer has an ignition function. Megajolt is an ECU which controls the timing of the ignition on your engine according to computer written tables. It reads crank position using a crank position sensor and 35 tooth wheel (36 tooth but with one missing) so it knows where TDC is. It also reads either the Throttle Position or Manifold Pressure to assess engine load. It also takes into account engine revs. Using these three basic parameters it looks up in the tables the ideal time to send a spark to the sparkplugs. This optimizes ignition control better than a dizzy ever can. Ignition maps can be written for maximum power, minimum emissions or economy with the help of a rolling road session.

You have to install the correct sensors and wasted spark coil pack along with the megajolt. The megajolt can make additional ignition adjustment for special situations like cranking. More sophisticated systems can make further adjustments of ignition for engine temperature, air temperature, barometric pressure (if using TPS for load) and engine knock but this is getting a bit fancy for real world use.

So it is a complete replacement for all the ignition functions of a dizzy. (On a pinto the dizzy shaft also has the mechanical function of driving the oil pump so you can't just bin it. Thats the only reason, apart from blocking the hole in the side of the engine it sits in, that you keep the dizzy or part of it.)

Nigel

Guest Alan_builder
I've heard many people mention it, but what exactly is it, what does it do, how much would it cost to fit it, and most importantly.........do I need it? :D

Hi Daren,

Please take a look here MegaSquirt Megajolt is the spark part of a MegaSquirt put simply.

It is a complete EFi system which you can build at home £160 or purchase complete £300. It has all the options you can think of and some you don't know about as yet.

If you use all the sensors etc you can meet CAT emission tests without one. 100% efficiency 99% of the time, ok 100% of the time. You can have adjustment for fuel grade, altitude pressure, humidity where carbs don't, well very well. Some will tell you you can have 2 of 3 switched maps for performance, but I think you just lift your foot off.

If you go Zetec then MegaSquirt is the ECU for you to consider, as opposed to Emerald etc. Speak to my Tim computer expert and builder of a MegarSquirt and owner of a car with an Emerald.

Alan

Guest The Modfather

Hi Alan.

I now have my zetec so will need to read up on what I need. I am looking to go bike carbs and non injection, so the megajolt is what I need I believe. I hear that the jolt can also come in kit form, and a lot cheaper, so I am feeling competent to solder lots of little bits together.

Will catch up with you some time this week Alan.

Darren

Guest qwerty_100
this is the kit.

excellent instructions stage by stage and testing as you build.

i struggled with a few of the surface mount bits and enjoyed the experience.

if going bike carbs then use the TPS ver.

woolly

http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite...rself-p-39.html

Darren the website I was trying to remember is the one woolly has mentioned it is one of the best for megajolt old age it gets to us all.Good to meet you today and we will no doubt see or speak before Detling. Kev