Car Recovery Services

Tazzzzman1

Hi,

Had some fun today when trying to get new breakdown cover. :unknw:

Decided to change from the "AA" after having a heart attack from their steathily increased premium (almost £300!)

So shopped about and have gone Green flag. Had some fun getting cover though for my 2B, just wondered if any one else has had similar issues.

Poor lass at the end of the phone spent 10 mins trying to find out about if they covered Kit cars, eventually told me yes. Normally only cover cars upto 16 yrs old so the premium would cost a bit more (£140 so still cheaper than AA) problem being that although SVA'd and registered this year, I have an age related plate on a "D".

Once we got over that hurdle, then had fun as she did not have or heard of a "Robin Hood" on her computer list of cars, so had to log it as a "Cattering van" and change details manually. Then the best laugh was when asked how many doors, 2,4 or 5. My response was met with silence when I said....none! Her replay was a gem...."Computer says No! :rofl:

Eventually got it covered after putting it down as a Caterham with 2 doors.....what joy!

Any one else had fun with this. May also be worth checking on the car age rule to make sure you are covered.... :shok:

Guest Christine

Hi, you seem to have it sorted now I did'nt have any problems with the RAC we have personal cover (Missus and Me) for any car we are driving and One registered car and the caravan all for under £200 last years price, associated membership through Camping and caravan club.

Garry

Guest Techmage

Guy's

A little story. My parents drive down to Italy yearly, this year they had a fault with

their car and found that the recovery company would only recover it to the nearest garage,

They simply dumped them there, no assistance with the language or dealing with the garage.

A week later they were involved in a accident only to find the recovery company do not

consider accidents breakdowns (apparently this also applies in the UK). It get a little complicated

here between the insurance company and the recovery one but the basics are that they would not

repatriate the car as the cost would be more than the value of the car (a 2006 S type Jag).

So please check the small print very carefully to make sure you have the cover you think you have

IT'S very likely you DON'T. My father had paid extra for foreign fully comp and gold recovery

and was still effectively left to his own devices. He in fact got more assistance from the recovery

associated with his credit card than he did from the one he paid rather a lot of money too.

Guest Christine

Hi, I was parked in traffic with a caravan on the back and a nice lady parked her car in the back of my caravan, I suffered damage to the van and my car, the RAC recovered both no problem.

Another time I had to call then when the voltage reg in my Omega failed but despite telling the mechanic this is what I knew to be the fault he insisted on starting the engine and burning the PCB in the dash out, cost £600 for repairs. So I suppose you takes your chance.

Have a Good Holiday.

Garry

I got full cover with my insurance through Adrian flux, had to get recoverd back from stafford after the show, was very quick to respond and new alot about hoods, (the guy had built 3) as aposed to AA who I pay more to cover wife (personal cover, any car) spent 3 hours back and forth before towing me 30miles @ 30mph (dsg auto box) down a duel carraige way before fixing a dead coil on my Audi.

Well I have my recovery with my Landrover Insurance (Premium Choice. ie "Roadsure") I used to be with the RAC for over 27 years, paying over £130/annum for personal cover for both Mutley & myself. but when I wanted to take the Landrover to France for a week, the RAC, A) Wouldn't cover me because it was over 12 years old........for crying out load, that shows out of touch the RAC is about Landrovers!! B) if it wasn't over 12 years old, they wanted a fee of £79 just for the weeks cover.

I've got to say, that even after checking out all the various recovery websites etc, they are all the same.

As a last option, I phoned Premium Choice to see what they could do (The Landy is insured with them with a policy similar to our kitcar jobby) I explained just what I had with the RAC. ie. Full personal breakdown & recovery (for any vehicle that I'm travelling in) but that I also wanted European cover as well, the nice lady said, "Yes, that'll be £49/year but it will need to be renewed with your insurance, I questioned her 3 times about what was covered, as I didn't believe it, she was adamant on the cover & price. so I snatched their hand off!!

I have used it once during the year, with great service, incidently it was the same garage contractors that all the other recovery operators use incl the RAC. (know this as I speak with them on a daily basis!)

When It came time to renew my Landrover insurance recently, the prices had gone up considerably, and I found that I could get just the insurance at least a third cheaper with "Frank Pickles" BUT I couldn't get the same breakdown cover through him or anywhere else, and it was still cheaper to take the whole package with Premium Choice.

I does pay to shop around before actually buying your recovery. I'm also very surprised that Greenflag gave you cover on the Hood as a named vehicle.

I've just bought 12 months basic cover for my daughter for Christmas (Bah! humbug!) I'd checked the various websites etc, and Greenflag offer 12 months personal "Recovery" for £64 for 2 people on their website, but when you put in the details of the vehicle, the fee increased with the age of the car, and it turned out to be considerably more! I finished up with 12 months cover for them with the RAC.

Hi Jim,

Pleasantly surprised by Greenflag. Although they did not recognise the Robin hood, they logged it as a Caterham and manually changed details. I have gone for the recovery plus for me and the missus for any car, based on the hood being the oldest vehicle. All in £140. If I wanted europe cover then additional £20. Pretty reAsonable I thought, compared to the "AA"...

If I hadn't specifically asked about the kit car cover though and took their standard policy, I'd have been up s**t creek with no paddle. Always advisable to check... :unknw:

I got my cover with Green Assist Recovery for £35 they also had to list the hood as a Caterham, the guy on the phone spent ages sorting it out and then called me back for about another 20 mins to make sure everything was correct. Reading Big Jims post and his Land Rover I did the UK to Spain and back trip about 6 times in my trusty old Discovery it was 12 years old the first year and by the end 18 years old on the last trip, No breakdown cover (Brave I know) but the only problem I had was the indicator wire chafed on the wing somewhere, took about 20 mins on the side of the road to fix. Sold it this year :( as an off roader.

Just a note and soem advice about deciding on breakdown cover and that is to read all the small print,

Green flag limit repair time to half an hour and you will be charged for additional repair time, Also if they dont want to fork out for a long recovery they might ask to see full service history before being recovered.

Not trying to put people off just a little advice.

The RAC have no age limit of vehicle and will cover any non commercial vehicle that is under 18 foot long, only down side is european cover is age related and is charged for the time you are away not for the full year, They are currently working on a better solution for this.

The AA now charge a labour rate for repairs other than flat batteries and wheel changes, I'e, If you need a new alternator and want it replaced there and then they will charge you labour. Also guys, if you do breakdown in your Hood for a punctured tyre and have no spare, they will also charge you for a call out and do not cover misfuels or accidents.

As for the smaller breakdown companies, They pretty much run the same terms and conditions as Green Flag.

With all of the above, be aware of the small print and what is not covered as it could make alot of difference at the time of a frustrated breakdown.

Most insurance companies use green flag.

Also think about what bank account you have as many accounts can now be upgraded to included breakdown cover and other perks for less than a breakdown company would charge direct.

Even though I am an RAC patrol I have treid to be non bias.

Good reply dinger.

As I deal with all the recovery companies on a daily basis, I also know who turns up at the broken down vehicle when they say they will!

The RAC tend to be the quickest, but with a patrol van, if they can't fix it they'll move it with their special 'dolly' that pops out of the back of the van (90% of the time they can)

Greenflag and the other smaller companies use acredited garages for recovery (as do the RAC for full recovery jobs) they'll turn up within anything from 45-60 mins usually.

The AA............Sorry, I can't put into print what I think about the AA! <_<

But the absolute worst of all is 'Kwickfit' it'll take them ½ hour to decide if you're covered or not!! :huh: :mellow: <_<

If you breakdown on a motorway, and you don't have any recovery, you have 2 hours to get yourself off, or it will be removed off the motorway, to get your car back, it'll cost you £150 plus £20/day for any storage charges. Fee's go up depending on how your vehicle is positioned, ie. off the tarmac, upside down etc.

Although most recovery trucks are 'slide & tilt' now, it's always worth telling the operator that you don't have much ground clearance if you're in the Hood.

PS. Breakdown on one of MY motorways, and I will take the piss!! ;) :D :D :D

hi

I'm with Roadsure but you guys with the AA- Greenflag etc is deinitlyy age related for european cover that was the only reason I changed to Roadsue was due to the vehicle age. I have used Roadsure no issues for me - I have had my £49 worth

Paul

Guest andrewmoorhouse

Im sorry dinger but i dont know where you get your information sounds like RAC propergander to me, let me put you straight the AA do not make any labour charge for any work done at the roadside they charge for parts used thats all same as you, puncture no seviceable spare a patrol will be sent who will do his best to either make a temp repair to the tyre using a special sealant if succesfull you will be charged for the sealant if not succesfull no charge a new tyre will be sourced if poss if in office hours or a mobile tyre fitter will be called. if non of the above can be done i believe there may be a charge to get the vehicle recovered you should have a serviceable spare. As to say we dont cover missfuels is a total lie we have a fleet of fuel assist vans that soley attend these jobs some thing the RAC dont have, it is a chargeable sevice but you get it done at the road side or garage fourcort. As for accident jobs a charge is made to recover these jobs and where ever possible the drivers insurance is invoyced directly after all these jobs are not breakdowns they are an insuance claim job so why should the insurance companies get away with not paying the full cost of the accident . sorry to go on but i dont like to see miss information posted with the obviouse intention of slagging of one organisation to get members for his company