Personal Reg Numbers

spg

I've just got a new car that's got a personal plate on it.

But its not very personal to me so I'm thinking of selling it on, I've had a valuation off reg transfers for £600 when it's sold.

The reg is P80 RAM I know it's all about how much someone is prepared to spend as there no real value the DVLA actualy own the number and your just paying for the privledge of using the number. But looking on there web site most of the numbers ending RAM are £1000 +

Not sure of the costs of tranfer and re-reg for my car but I think it's £80 to transfer and mine will then get an age related plate.

£300 + pounds seems alot for letting them add it to there list and handling the paper work, Lets face it compared to registering a kit a transfer is a piece of cake.

Anyone got a bit of insight on how they come up with the value and is it a fair price all being considered.

Cheers

Steve

Guest sadjagboy

It will cost an extra £35 on top of the £80 as the number will need to go on a retention cert with a new owner as the consignee (I think they call it) and you the current owner are the grantee, once the plate is put on a vehicle registered to the consignee the grantee forfeits the right to the number.

DVLA pricing is a bit random to my mind. If you can really get £600 for something that does not mean anything to you if I were you I'd take the money.

Last year I sold a car with a plate on it (which I bought from DVLA several years ago) because it was just too much hassle to take it off again when selling the car and put it on retention.

A number plate is just a bit of bureaucracy to spoil the look of a car. That said, I have a non date plate on my every day car, when asked what the letters stand for (not my initials) I always say they stand for 'I can't afford a new car'

A private plate will only ever be worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

A friend of mine bought the plate S4NKO from DVLA for £250. During a time of financial hardship he sold it for £1000. Then a year later, it was up on eBay so he asked the seller for a Buy It Now price and he is willing to pay the £1000 for it. He was declined and told the auction was to run. The auction ended up finishing at £150. The added bonus was his name was still on the retention form so no further costs. If you can get £600 for it then sell, but you can buy RAM plates off DVLA for £250 including transfers so It's up to the person buying.

Guest graham dockerill
:o Valuations are a rip off in my view, I had a plate valued at £1000, the reg company put it on for £1250, and after about 2 years they phoned and said they had a offer of £250, I said I would not accept less than £500 and they paid it.

Thanks for the replys.

Think I'll hang on to it for now dealing with the DVLA for £600 just ain't worth it. Took near 6 months to get my last cars number plate back to it's correct owner.

Cheers

Steve

I paid £499 over 10 years ago for my B3 YAM plate. At the time, I had a YPVS 350 but fortunately have always liked Yams and am on my 3rd Fazer :D

Probably wont sell it but it's one of those that people either want or not. If they have the ultimate Yamaha they might pay a fair bit for the plate and if someone offered me 2k, then I would be tempted.

Also have L8RY P on my car that I got very cheap from DVLA (Think it was £199). However, cant imagine there are many LARRY P's out there so think I'm stuck with this one for life :)

I saw L4RRY on a flooring companies van in Essex which is mu ultimate plate when I win the Lottery!!!

I have D1 NGV which means nothing to anyone else but as my last name is Bell and it reads D1NG V, it was a wedding present from my wife and guess who's car it is on, Lol,

It has no value to me as I will always keep it, When I bought it they had it listed on DVLA for £1500 Although I used a big transfer company to buy the plate for me and total price including the transfer was £1100, So if you see a plate you want on DVLA, call one of these companies and you will get it alot cheaper,

Most plates you see for sale in autotrader and the magazines are infact still on cars and the seller is doing the same as the OP is thinking about,

A transfer to another car is as simple as you make it, I just sent off all the relevant forms that i printed off the DVLA website together with mot's and logbooks and included the transfer fee and with in 2 weeks all was returned.

My favorite plate that I have ever seen was on a porsche and read, HOT 4 53X, many years ago and only last year saw the same plate on different porsche in central london.

Guest Larson250

Going off line a bit (apologies),

Steve Parrish the bike commentator used to come to track days at Mallory Park in a black Range Rover with the number

PEN 15,

The best i've ever seen.

Dean

Guest smartfazer
I paid £499 over 10 years ago for my B3 YAM plate. At the time, I had a YPVS 350 but fortunately have always liked Yams and am on my 3rd Fazer :D

With you on the Fazer. I loved mine when I had it. Best bike I ever had.

post-3477-1264419813_thumb.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Going off line a bit (apologies),

Steve Parrish the bike commentator used to come to track days at Mallory Park in a black Range Rover with the number

PEN 15,

The best i've ever seen.

Dean

I must still be tired and had to read that 3 times before I started giggling, Lol

A few years ago i was lucky enough to buy my T100SS as a basket case for £250 and it came with a 1923 reg number 2515RF, shame they are not my initials but the numer is worth a bit now, my other bike P--ORT, plus 8 years ago i bought M11KAE for my car for £250 from the DVLA.

Just to add Dean, Steve Parrish was a quick lad in his day as i remember well my cousin diceing with him at Snetterton and drinking with him in the club house in the evening.

Mike

Guest Ian & Carole

Looking on the DVLA web site any *1*** is fetching a grand including transfer fee and VAT.

I was lucky, my late Father gave me the one thats on my car just after my Mum passed away.

It is the initials of my brother, sister and me, Mum always said the "X" was a kiss for us all !!! :wub:

A bit of a personal story but thats what "personal plates" are all about.

As a birthday pressie for Carole I bought the modern version, I think as a matched pair they might be worth a couple of quid if the baliffs ever come knocking :rolleyes:

DSC01040.jpg

With you on the Fazer. I loved mine when I had it. Best bike I ever had.

post-3477-1264419813_thumb.jpg

:wub: :wub: :wub:

I had 2 of the old ones like yours. Great handling and solid as a rock on one wheel. Could easily go through up to the limiter in 4th from a standing start on the plane (not on the Public Highway of course).

However, when I changed up to the new one, it was like a different bike. Better in every department except the seat which wasn't quite as comfy as the old armchair. I have owned about 20 different bikes and ridden gawd knows how many more but the Fazer is just about the best all round bike I can think of. It's quick, handles like a dream, comfy and easy to drive like a noddy or scratching at Mach1.

Sorry to take the thread off topic :D

Guest Larson250
A few years ago i was lucky enough to buy my T100SS as a basket case for £250 and it came with a 1923 reg number 2515RF, shame they are not my initials but the numer is worth a bit now, my other bike P--ORT, plus 8 years ago i bought M11KAE for my car for £250 from the DVLA.

Just to add Dean, Steve Parrish was a quick lad in his day as i remember well my cousin diceing with him at Snetterton and drinking with him in the club house in the evening.

Mike

Mike,

I would say he still is. The few times i've met him he could ride circles around me.

Just another quick one.

I was going around Gerrards one day knee on the floor, hanging off, etc. etc. looking at my exit point when Ray Stringer rode around the outside of me with my then pregnant, now ex wife on the back.

Needless to say I went back into the pits a little sheepish.

Hats off to the top level guys of any era.

Dean