Unhappy Noises

Grim

OK, i'm aiming for diff removal this weekend, does anybody know if i can remove the diff without dropping the rear beam? I've welded in strengtheners which make that a 2 week job...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just ordered a set of bolts for the driveshafts, but i doubled up on quantity in an attempt to get to the minimum order price. So if anyone wants a set, give me a shout.

got the diff back today and refitted it, and there's just as much play in the driver's side driveshaft flange as there was before!!! Am i being daft, or does this not seem right?

very much side to side/up and down, you can take the driveshaft and move it towards the boot, to the ground, fore or aft.

I'll give MR GB a ring tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully, car will be OTR tomorrow eve, just need to reattach the gearbox mount, get it off the jacks and tidy up!

edit: checked the backlash, seems lovely, vastly better than it was before (an inch in terms of circumference of wheel)

well, gave them a ring, he seemed to suggest it was normal but offered to take a look, so i'll pop down

If it is normal, i'm hoping the initial diagnosis was right, cos otherwise the noises might still occur :o

Aiming for a test drive tonight

My LSD diff has no up/down forward or backwards movement in it at all. My original none LSD diff off the donor, if I remembered correctly was similar and I can't believe that a good diff should allow any movement in those directions, surely that implies bearing problems?

well, i'm crying into my beer now. Just been out for a test drive, and it is woeful.

Whines like a *bleep* below 30mph, whines a little above that and at 50 to 60 it's making a chattering noise as loud as the exhaust. Felt the casing after a sub 10 miles drive and it's really hot. Yes there is oil in it.

I'm at a loss really. I'm taking the car to them tomorrow (if i dare drive it the few miles there) and see what they say.

Dan: it's most definitely not the CV joint moving. The output flange is hard bolted to the CV joint, so any slop in that would not be felt at the flange.

Gutted :cray:

I,m i right in thinking you have had the diff rebuilt ? If its not the drive shaft there is nothing else but the diff at fault so is what you had done under warranty?

Typical bloody kit car !! :help: I hate mine one day and love it the next

Keep us posted love to what it turns out to be in the end.

yes it was rebuilt, i even asked to keep the old bearings (out of professional metallurgical curiosity) so i know it has been done.

I know the drive shaft flanges plug in, but i can't see how there could be any movement in them that could cause any wear (hence cause play), they're fixed wrt to the moving parts of the diff.

There's a reasonably priced lsd diff on ebay, tempted to just go buy that. Will see if i can resolve the current issue first though.

yes it was rebuilt, i even asked to keep the old bearings (out of professional metallurgical curiosity) so i know it has been done.

I know the drive shaft flanges plug in, but i can't see how there could be any movement in them that could cause any wear (hence cause play), they're fixed wrt to the moving parts of the diff.

There's a reasonably priced lsd diff on ebay, tempted to just go buy that. Will see if i can resolve the current issue first though.

does the lsd make a differance ? often thought of looking for one for mine