Unhappy Noises

Grim

Hi all,

Just been out for a run today, and the transmission appears to be making an unhappy noise under load above 40mph in 4th and 5th. It's not incredibly loud, but a definite whirry noise. Judging from the fact that it's not RPM dependent, it''s not on the input side of the gearbox, but i don't know if it's gearbox output or propshaft. Does anybody have any clues of what a failing prop or box might sound like?

Andy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chris brown

Strange that it should make the noise in 4th as that is straight through (1 : 1). I would suspect the output bearing in the tail of the box. As Stephen says a UJ on the prop gives vibration. Are you sure it is from the box and not from the diff as you know some noises can be difficult to pin point

Sounds to me a bit like mine did which was the diff always sounded worse with the roof on. Have you got any spares ie box and diff i,d be inclined to swap one at a time and see what happend Diff 1st

Don,t know what facilitys you have, if your stuck i have a crane and big garage to lift the engine out etc

not sure at all, i know the diff makes a slight whine. Yes it was somewhat difficult to pinpoint, I'll take the transmission tunnel top panel off and see if that makes any difference to the noise

I would jack it up on 4 wheels and use a stethescope set up ( a tiny funnel and a piece of pastic pipe in your ear)round the tunnel while the car is running or same at the local garage?

Paul

well, i had a look at it today and there's oodles of play in the driver's side diff bearing. So i need a new diff! I was thinking of getting a reconditioned one rather than fit one of unknown quality, does anybody know of a good supplier in the south yorks area (altho can travel).

You could give Phil at Mr Gearbox a call 01142422347 , tell him Mark from Amberley garage has given you his number, whatever price he tells you tell me on here and i will try and knock him down a bit.

Cheers mark, will check it out.

Dan, i had a look at redoing it myself, and found a full manual explaining how to do it properly, and i reckon it's a bit too involved. But that opinion might change depending on how much i get quoted for reconditioning!

Here's the link if anyone else is interested: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/rearax...iffOverhaul.pdf

You could give Phil at Mr Gearbox a call 01142422347 , tell him Mark from Amberley garage has given you his number, whatever price he tells you tell me on here and i will try and knock him down a bit.

Just had a chat, he says £280+vat, down from £320+vat because i mentioned you. Seems a lot of cash, but saves the embuggeration factor of doing it myself, and replacement lsds seem to be around the £200 mark for a used one.

Oh, and does anybody know what sort of bolts the driveshaft bolts are? I'm aiming to replace them with hex head bolts for simplicity of removal, should there ever be a 'next time'. Will i be ok with ordinary 8.8 bolts or will i need something a little more special? Also i presume they're an M8 normal pitch?

Hi,

i think they are a finer pitch than standard and will need some thread lock, i await to be corrected. Not sure what strength they need to be though so you may be best off with Mr fords products to be safe. Ive started to get very frustrated with hex/torx etc as i often break the tool to remove them or loose them. Much rather a good old hex bolt and socket.

hth

Oh, and does anybody know what sort of bolts the driveshaft bolts are? Also i presume they're an M8 normal pitch?

M8 x 50 normal pitch, Hex head bolts will catch on the shoulder, use socket head bolts these are 12.9 grade as standard.

Steve