Pinto Efi Fault Code Reading From Eec Iv

peter_m7uk

Hi,

Now that my engine is up and running, I decided to play with the fault code reader to check that there is nothing wrong. I bought a Draper 5 pin fault code reader and tried it last night with ignition on, but didn't run the engine. I keyed the ignition on with the reader in the O position and the red LED came on. I then flicked the switch to the - position, which turned the LED off for a couple of seconds, before it came on and stayed on. It didn't flash or give me any information, just a solid red light. If I moved the throttle valve, the light turned off, but that was the only response I could get.

Anyone else got experience with this and know what I'm doing wrong? I should add that the wiring isn't complete generally. I only connected up just enough to make the engine run and that was all. The ECU originally had connections to fault modules and other gubbins in the Sierra, but I got rid of that stuff.

Also, I read here that the handbrake should be on. I don't have a handbrake installed yet and the wires are loose, so perhaps I should sort that. Any ideas?

Ta,

Pete :D

Hi,

Now that my engine is up and running, I decided to play with the fault code reader to check that there is nothing wrong. I bought a Draper 5 pin fault code reader and tried it last night with ignition on, but didn't run the engine. I keyed the ignition on with the reader in the O position and the red LED came on. I then flicked the switch to the - position, which turned the LED off for a couple of seconds, before it came on and stayed on. It didn't flash or give me any information, just a solid red light. If I moved the throttle valve, the light turned off, but that was the only response I could get.

Anyone else got experience with this and know what I'm doing wrong? I should add that the wiring isn't complete generally. I only connected up just enough to make the engine run and that was all. The ECU originally had connections to fault modules and other gubbins in the Sierra, but I got rid of that stuff.

Also, I read here that the handbrake should be on. I don't have a handbrake installed yet and the wires are loose, so perhaps I should sort that. Any ideas?

Ta,

Pete :D

I tried again the other night, but no change. I thought perhaps the ECU had an input to say whether the handbrake was on, but no, so that is clearly just a safety precaution rather than being necessary to read codes. It does say engine at full working temperature in that link, so perhaps that's what I need, although don't know why if I'm reading codes with engine off and only ignition on!

Pete :huh:

Hi,

Thanks for the info, Andy. Where did you find it? Presumably my Draper reader is just a box with an LED, a switch and a couple of wires inside? :rolleyes:

I tried it again yesterday with the engine running and, this time, it did appear to be working. It flashed a 11 code after I blipped the throttle, which is supposed to indicate that everything is fine. Then it flashed a bit more, but yet to work out what it meant!! Not the easiest thing to use :huh:

When I tried again with ignition on and engine off, I still had the solid LED on... So, I'm wondering if it's supposed to do that?!

The fact that it worked with engine running must mean the Draper box is ok, after all you can only switch the switch to 2 positions. So, if the box is ok and I'm following the instructions correctly, what does the unchanging LED mean?! Perhaps I should try the trick with an LED and bit of wire, to see if it gives me the same.... :huh:

Pete