Expected Pinto Oil Pressure?

peter_m7uk

Hiya,

I ran my rebuilt Pinto for the first time recently and, now that I have an oil pressure gauge, I just wanted to check if the readings sounded healthy...

Bear in mind that the engine has been quite thoroughly refurbed, with new bearings, seals and gaskets everywhere. New pistons, rings and camshaft. The crank wasn't reground, but I measured it and it was within the tolerance for barely worn condition and no ovality to speak of. I also fitted a Burton high pressure/flow pump, as I'd heard the stories about Pinto cam spray bars being a bit crap, so thought it might help to deliver a bit extra. I also read recently that those pumps can suck the sump dry if you run at high revs for a sustained period!! But it will only be a road car, so shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, when the engine is cold, the gauge hits the top (90psi) at idle, before dropping to around 35psi at idle when fully warmed up. Does that sound ok for a tight, like new engine???

Cheers,

Pete B)

Hi Pete,

According to Haynes manual for the Pinto, it states:-

Minimum oil pressure at 750rpm..... 14.5 lbf/in2

2000rpm.... 36.25 lbf/in2

Both reading's with engine warm.

Haynes take their info from the manufacturers, so i assume thats for a new engine also??

HTH,

Nick.

sounds about right, and about like mine

at barkston last year, it had about 10lb at idle, and not much more reving... only 1 bolt in the oil pump

=@

seems to have survived

Guest chelcott
Hi Pete,

According to Haynes manual for the Pinto, it states:-

Minimum oil pressure at 750rpm..... 14.5 lbf/in2

2000rpm.... 36.25 lbf/in2

Both reading's with engine warm.

Haynes take their info from the manufacturers, so i assume thats for a new engine also??

HTH,

Nick.

which haynes have you got and where abouts this info im in research mode

Guest chelcott
Hi,

Sierra 83-93 model year. Info is in the specification list at the begining of the engine section.

Nick.

cant seem to find, Ive got "903" manual 1982 to 1992 if you got what page

Guest mower man

90+ when cold 35/40 at idle hot 50/60@3500 hot never below 30 even when temp gauge on hot stop during ahead gasket failure only time low press worried me was after grounding the sump pushing the bottom face upto the pick up restricting flow ,cured by liberal application of 4lb adjusting tool!! HTH mower man :crazy: :good:

Guest chelcott
90+ when cold 35/40 at idle hot 50/60@3500 hot never below 30 even when temp gauge on hot stop during ahead gasket failure only time low press worried me was after grounding the sump pushing the bottom face upto the pick up restricting flow ,cured by liberal application of 4lb adjusting tool!! HTH mower man :crazy: :good:

checked through haynes, plenty of liberal application but no mention of 4lb adjusting tool

• 2 weeks later...