Building A Loom

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

I need to rebuild the loom that came with the R1 injectors and as such have a few questions

What size cable is required?

As I don't have the connector blocks that fit the original injectors, what are the individual connectors called so I can make my own up. Unless somebody knows where I can find some injector connectors for the R1 throttle bodies :D

Will also need some velocity stacks the dimensions of the throttle bodies are 54mm OD 48mm ID

Cheers

Colin from Nwest years ago got some tweeter tubes for home build speakers from maplins for velocity stacks, apparently the come in loads of dif sizes for next to nowt Tim,

they probably have the correct size connectors to

HTH

Mitch

You have options with the injector plugs. These peeps http://www.dataspares.com/ will have them but they cost a fortune. Local bike breaker is a cheaper bet. You may want to consider different injectors. The R1 injectors will possibly have too high a flow rate to allow good low revs/light throttle response and you might change them for lower flow car jobbies which will use a standard Junior timer plug. Cheap and easily available.

Nigel

Guest Tim Norman

How do I calculate what flow rate is required? Are bike and car injectors interchangeable? From the little research I have done so far the R1 injectors have a flow rate of 330cc/min? Does this sound too much, bearing in mind on the bike 4 are fueling a 1000cc engine at 15000rpm and producing 170 bhp? I will be asking 8 to fuel 4000cc at 6000rpm and hopefully 280bhp.

So many questions! On the plus side I have sorted the throttle cables :wacko:

As a rough calculation flow in cc/min divided by 5 is the max hp an injector will give 100% duty cycle (theoretical figure really).

In the R1 330/5 x 4 = 264. Actual bhp max is 175 so in their original setting they are running at about 66% duty cycle.

In your installation 330/5 x 8 = 528bhp. If you are expecting about 280 bhp then 280/528 = 53% duty cycle. Injectors are about right if the max bhp you are aiming for is at around 70% of duty cycle so your R1 injectors are a bit big. They would happily do 400bhp but I'm sure will be OK part throttle. Hot start and part throttle will need to be carefully mapped and fuel pressure control will need to be accurate but they should work OK and future upgrades no problem. Ideal would be about 250cc/min.

Having said all that I'm currently running 444cc injectors in the ST engine. (because my low impedance cosworth injectors refused to talk to the computer above 4000 rpm on the rolling road and the only injectors the operator could find quickly on the day were rover turbo!) 444/5 x 4 = 355bhp. Currently running at less than 50% duty cycle for various reasons. It it starts and drives at low revs absolutely fine. OK it coughs and splutters everywhere else and is totally gutless but I'm still working on that and it's not the injectors! (Target 200bhp, 4 cylinders so 300cc/min injectors would be ideal)

Nigel

I'm going to be really noddy here but where is a good place that I can get some generic wire connectors from.

I will be rewiring Georgie as part of the engine upgrade and will be chopping all the old Ford ones off. What do people recommend?