Superspec Lambda Wiring

Al Milton

Hi All,

The lambda connections on the Rover 2ltr T series engine / wiring loom are confusing me - must be this volcanic ash blocking my inlets!

Just to confirm, the 4 wires on the lambda are identified as: Black - signal, Grey - earth and 2 whites are the heaters.

But - where the blinking 'eck do these connect into the loom?

According to the wiring diagram:

From the engine multi plug (no.1):

The blue or brown/blue wire is connected to pin 87

The brown/pink is this the positive feed to the relay?

From the ECU:

Pin 7 grey wire is connected to the lambda sensor +. Is this to the Black lambda signal wire?

Pin 18 light green wire is connected to the lambda sensor (connected to relay pin 85?) -. This would be the lambda grey wire also?

Pin 36 black/green is also connected to the lambda relay. But which terminal?

And where do the 2 white lambda heater cables connect to?

Also, loking back at older threads, a very good earth is recommended so also plan to link the grey direct to the battery - would this be ok?

Totally confused, any pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Al

Hi Al

It's a long time since I did mine, but think there should be a lambda wiring plug on the engine loom. This is a different fit to the plug from the lambda sensor, so you'll need to chop both plugs off, then join up the wires:

Sensor - Engine loom plug

White - Black

White - Brown/Blue

Grey - Green

Black - Grey

There were some additional instructions which followed from Robin Hood for if you had a different sensor (ie 2 blacks, 1 white, 1 blue). There's also a comment about if the sensor was from Fuelparts (in a blue box) then this has to have an extremely good earth.

Reading through the posts on this forum, there have been a few issues with the lambda sensor and emissions problems at the SVA / IVA. I have the sensor with the 2 White, 1 Grey and 1 Black wires, and don't think it's a fuelparts one (wasn't in a blue box!). I wired it up as above and it passed the emissions test at IVA fine.

The MEMS ECU apparently bases the fuelling / timing / emissions etc on an average of the previous 200 miles (I'm not exactly sure how the ECU knows how far the car has been drive though!). So it may take the ECU a while to settle down, and the performance / emissions could be slightly off while it's sorting itself out. I had a lengthy drive to the IVA so I think that helped (there was quite a bit of backfiring initially).

Also, it's good to get a good seal on the exhaust system to avoid any air getting sucked into the pipes which may throw off the emissions test. I used some exhaust paste on the lambda sensor just to make sure.

Hope this helps

Harvs

Hi Harvs,

Thanks for this, must have been having a thicko moment, forgot to look elsewhere for the other multiplug - derr :fool: :fool: .

Found the engine multiplug, this is the one by the alternator.

May have some more idiot questions about the lambda later - be prepared ;) :D

Good heads-up with the sealing of the system, will get plenty of gum gum (or equivalent), and administer liberally.

Thanks for the pointers

Cheers

Al