Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Redspec

Hi all

After re fitting the engine the exhaust manifold gasket is blowing, Cleaned up faces, new gasket used, gradually torqued up centre to outside.

So it is a strip down this week to sort it, the question is has any one used this stuff

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_Permatex_Ultra_Copper_Maximum_Temperature_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

Also is it worth fitting 2 gaskets as the exhaust manifold may be out of true (should have checked when the engine was out :sorry: )

Steve

Guest mower man

If it does what it says on the info sheet its the answer to a mechanics prayer well one of them anyway! Will some one try it before I invest in some please regards mower man :crazy: 8P or if it does work :shok: :yahoo: :good:

Steve,

There was thread somewhere about not using silicon based exhaust sealant as it upsets the lambda reading or something like that.

However, this stuff does state it's 'sensor safe'

MSDS

MSDS does imply that Formaldehyde (potential carcinogen and skin/inhalation sensitiser) is generated at high temperatures >300F :wacko:

Technical data Sheet

Looks like this stuff may be OK with lambda things - the info sheet gives a Toyota spec number. If it works, as Mowerman says, could be the answer to many things and a good spot.

Cheers

Al

It say's sensor safe and if you blow up the pic of the packet (off another site) it says oxygen sensor safe.

Looking at the spec it is all things to all men but the proof will be if it does what it say's on the tin.

I will find out soon as I have ordered a couple of tubes.

Steve

Thanks Nigel

It was held by 3 bolts and 2 studs but the studs were to long to get the manifold on and off and had to be removed and re fitted, I have started to replace them all with shorter studs today, also the manifold face is about 5 thou out of true but to sort it correctly I would have to move the engine to get it out :(

So it will be a good test for the Gasket sealant.

Thanks again

Steve