Superspec Gearbox Removable

Guest rusty

Guest rusty

Hi :friends: :pardon: :pardon:

All

decided to take the engine out last Saturday with some help from snapper paul, all went quite well dropped it out through the bottom raising the car up a couple of foot to enable us to work on the engine on the floor, on Friday I spent the whole day removing all the gubbins on top which has half filled my extension didn't realise I would have to take so much off,

we had a bit of a job splitting the gearbox/engine mainly because of the 1930's style bronze bush fitted by RH, the clutch was not as bad as I had expected although the problem with the release bearing dropping of the end of the lay shaft has to be resolved.

after some research on the interweb I found that Westfield sports cars do an extended release bearing which give 20mm more throw on which should solve the the problem, quite expensive £55 it's advertised as MT75-Zetec only trouble is although I have an MT75 gearbox I have a type 9 release arm thanks RH oh bye the way I don't have an MT75 gearbox I have a V6 European LH drive MT75.

I only found this out when I bought a MT75 off Ebay and wondered why it looked different, I bought it to replace the original one which has a problem with fourth gear only to find it wont fit bell housing is completly different, On the Sierra MT75 the lay shaft is almost flush with the bell housing where as the V6 sticks out 30 odd mm, still at least the gearbox I bought had a good remote on it which I have adapted to fit the V6 box much better than the RH one I suppose I shouldn't complain its lasted 10,000mls.

Glyn, I hope you and Paul sorted it out in the end, Now I know who to ask if mine packs up, it sounds like you had a nightmare with it, bit late now but could you not have had the box rebuilt or were there other things wrong.

If your at Newark this weekend I hope to go Sat morning depending on the weather so I should see you there, still at work until 5.30 today.

Maybe I should think of selling mine before it happens to me...

See ya Glyn..... Jan

Guest rusty

Hi

Jan

Looks like I will have to have the gearbox rebuilt unless I can find someone with the Knowledge to help me rebuild it :help: , the reason I didn't get that done in the first place was the quotes I had frightened the life out of me, wondered if it's feasible to use the parts from the gearbox I bought on ebay or maybe I will just put it back on Ebay and put the money towards the rebuild,one things for sure when it does go back together it will 200% better than before as far as the clutch and transmission is concerned,

Don't think I will be going to Newark need to work on the car and work on Saturday.

cheers

Glyn (Rusty) :drinks:

Hi

Jan

Looks like I will have to have the gearbox rebuilt unless I can find someone with the Knowledge to help me rebuild it :help: , the reason I didn't get that done in the first place was the quotes I had frightened the life out of me, wondered if it's feasible to use the parts from the gearbox I bought on ebay or maybe I will just put it back on Ebay and put the money towards the rebuild,one things for sure when it does go back together it will 200% better than before as far as the clutch and transmission is concerned,

Don't think I will be going to Newark need to work on the car and work on Saturday.

cheers

Glyn (Rusty) :drinks:

Hi Glyn

So sorry to hear all the aggro you have had, I saw Paul at Newark and he was telling me what had gone wrong etc, its put the fear of **** up me now, do you think the rumble at speed is a tell tale sign because all the way back if we drove more than 68 it was there, not a terrible rumble but you could sense a vibration.

There is a place on Canvey that do transmissions, think they are called Thames Transmissions, I used to know him in the late 70s as we had CB Radios, I will have a look to find out if he is still there.

Newark was B****dy COLD Sat night you wouldn't have liked it lol

Good luck with the gearbox, at least I know a man who knows now :rolleyes: Keep your chin up

TTFN

Jan

Thames Transmissions Ltd.

Unit 6

Mulberry Road

Canvey Island

Essex

SS8 0PR

Tel: 01268 697368

Fax: 01268 695732

do you think the rumble at speed is a tell tale sign because all the way back if we drove more than 68 it was there

Hi Jan - it's interesting you should say that. My superspec develops a vibration at around 65mph. I put it down (from help on here!) to the fact I hadn't had my wheels balanced. I've now had them balanced, and there's still the vibration (although not as much).

I've had it up on axle stands tonight, with the wifee running it to 65mph upwards (she didn't like it!) so I could have a look around to see if I could trace it. The sound did appear to be more from the centre of the car (near gearbox) rather than the back end.

Is it a known problem the vibrations at this speed?

Cheers

Harvs

Hi Glyn,

Glad to hear you're getting sorted with your gearbox :good: .

The Westfield release bearing does seem steep at £55, but doing a bit of searching has identified concentric slave cylinders (as fitted to the Granada Scorpio), for around £230. These bolt into the bell housing with three bolts. Obviously need the master cylinder as well!

Out of interest, are there 3 bolt holes on the inside of the bell housing for a concentric slave cylinder?

Pics would be good for info tolet me know what i'll be getting myself into at some stage :cray:

Still not gotten round yet to fitting those front suspension covers :rolleyes: but it's on the to do list once the wedding anniversary is out of the way! Hope the wine went down well :drinks:

Cheers

Al

Guest rusty

Hi

Al

yes I regret buying the release bearing for that price I was going to return it but unfortunately I broke one of the locating pin off of it trying to force it onto the wrong release arm as mentioned earlier but managed to fit my original type 9 one to the Westfield bearing with the help of retentsioning the retaining spring and adhering it with two pack Aradite, fingers crossed.

going back to the original thread vibration at 60-70 check your propshaft nuts at the front my were lose although I have never had any probs with vibration at that speed and over only trouble I have is my hat blows of at 80 now secured with a lanyard :rolleyes: regaurding pics I still intend to keep snapping so will do a disc when finished.

Glyn

(Rusty)

Guest rusty

Hi

All

the main reason for the rattle and vibration on tickover with clutch out seems to be two main things the modified bolt/spacer for the release arm has a been ground down to about 5-6mm and the slot in the type 9 arm is about 10mm needless to say when the release bearing falls of the end of the guide sleeve and the arm rattles around in the locating pin the result sounds like theres a load of chains in the bellhousing. so with the new bearing staying on the guide sleeve and a rubber boot over the guide pin the result should be silence.and also a nice new spigot bearing.

glyn

(Rusty) :drinks:

Jan, the world gets smaller, the guy you know is also my brother in laws, brother in law.

Glyn has now had the box refurebed in Harlow and I hope to give him a hand Thursday afternoon.

Seems there was quite a bit wrong with the box, I will let Glyn give you the full story