Name That Cam

keith kelly

Hi all,

i believe that the cam i have in my pinto hood is standard however it does have R26 made in USA on it. i have looked at some others and they dont have this.

is the CAM standard?? if not i could do with finding out what it is.

regards

keith

How about Cedric, or Clarissa?

There seem to be lots of markings, I have an old standard 2l cam from an RS 2000 with USA and lots of markings on the shaft EP26, D2, C2, H27, CWC, 1.5 and A stamped on the back end of the shaft.

Another which I think is standard has only S-723 on the end and K 355 G on the shaft.

The one stamped on the end I think is the important bit,(my piper one has 285 on the end) most of the others are just casting numbers.

This probably has not helped at all!

• 7 months later...

sorry t bring this one up again but i still do not know what cam is in my pinto! on recommendation i have looked at the flywheel end of the cam and it has a marking punched in that looks like 160 and the letter A on the end. all the other marking i have establish are just casting markings.i have attached some photo's - the 160 marking could be something else like letter but cant tell as they are puched with a fine punch and an unsteady hand by the looks of it.

cam 1.JPG

cam2.JPG

Some time ago i had the same problem, i emailed Piper Cams and they had the answer by reply email.

As it happened it was an early cam with different markings to current available rally cam in my case.

Mike

ok found an image of someone else's (they did not get an answer on their forum either) mine does not have the square and the j and f letter on it but has 3 circles of paint whcih i dont think show up on my pick.

i have looked at piper/kent/crane/catcam/newman but cant see any reference i am guessing it is an old model as above.

has any one got any idea's???

2009010222021543191022.jpg

Without a clear number and most aftermarket cams have one, the only way to tell is to measure the cam base circle and the lobe to find out if it is standard or a regrind.

Standard lift is about 6 mm something at the lobe multiplied by the rocker ratio.

Them measure inlet lobe centre to exhaust lobe centre to find lobe centre separation, compare this to Sierra manual, you will then have a rough idea of lift and duration.

Edited by Snapperpaul