Cast Timing Mark

Jamiep

Good Evening all, Can someone please tell me which of the two water pump casting marks is for timing?

First pic is just off the left of the engine centre line (inline with the jubilee clip), the second pic is along the centre line of the engine.

I have looked at the haynes photo but its unclear to me which is which. :unknw:

timing1.jpg

timing2.jpg

Thanks,

Jamiep

Guest Ian Marr

Timing marks are on the crank pulley - you can just see them to the right of the water pump pulley on your second photo. Big one is tdc and others are degrees forward/backward

hth

Ian

Guest Ian & Carole

Jamie

On the Pinto engine the water pump is not involved with the timming at all.

The cam belt runs from crank pulley to the aux. shaft that drives the distributor and fuel/oil pumps to the camshaft and back.

The water pump is driven by the belt that drives the alternator from the crankshaft pulley.

Hope that makes sense.

Guest Ian & Carole

Timing marks are on the crank pulley - you can just see them to the right of the water pump pulley on your second photo. Big one is tdc and others are degrees forward/backward

hth

Ian

Pleased you paid attention back in a snowy weekend in February :clapping: :air_kiss: hope you have had a nice weekend in the the Dales.

as said the actual timing marks are on the pulley itself but if you ment what do you line that up with i believe it is the flange sticking out in line with the jubilee clip on your first pick. remember tdc mark is the mark on the far left as you need to go anticlock wise to increase the degrees btdc.

hth

Guest Angel Boy

Hi Jamie,

As said above on the first pic, the point the engine you pick from is the jutting out bit of metal underneath the big jubilee clip. You can just make it out (directly right of the jubilee and directly behind the pulley).

The timing marks are on the pulley and are visible on your second pic, they look like a series of score lines on the outer edge. On your second pic they are directly right of the water pump and directly above the bolt hole on the water pump pulley mount.

I can't remember which way around the marks go though and I don't have my info to hand.

Best,

Andy

Guest pwlcarz

Got my Pinto head off at the moment and can confirm TDC is the left most mark on the pulley, and as mentioned earler, should be aligned with the mark just below the mark above the jubilee clip.

Regards

Guest pwlcarz

Got my Pinto head off at the moment and can confirm TDC is the left most mark on the pulley, and as mentioned earler, should be aligned with the mark just below the mark above the jubilee clip.

Regards

Sorry, that of course should be BELOW the jubilee clip!!!

Jamie

On the Pinto engine the water pump is not involved with the timming at all.

The cam belt runs from crank pulley to the aux. shaft that drives the distributor and fuel/oil pumps to the camshaft and back.

The water pump is driven by the belt that drives the alternator from the crankshaft pulley.

Hope that makes sense.

Sorry all was typing in a hurry and forgot half of the sentence I meant to write.

I know the timing marks on the cast pulley are meant to line up with a projection in the aluminium casting below the water pump housing but wasn't sure which one hence the photos.

from the responses and after relooking at the haynes photo after a good sleep I realised its the one to the left of centre on the engine.

Although this means I fitted the timing belt with it set to the wrong one :rolleyes:

Hi Jamie,

I agree with SSSLine, defo check ya TDC accuracy:

Probably worth checking that the TDC mark on the pully is accurate whilst your at it, they can be a little out.

Whip out no 1 spark plug and use a lollipop stick or similar to 'Feel' when the piston is at the top of it's stroke

whilst you turn the engine over by hand. (a DTi is the best option for accuracy if you have one/can borrow one).

When your happy you have it topped out, check the TDC mark on the pulley is alligned with the spine cast onto the

bottom alloy casting. Mark the pulley with a white marker to correct any error as this will then show up very easily under a timing light.

HTH, :hi:

Nick (aka Shaft & Leper)

Having just done the cam timing with a DTI the exact TDC is the point in the middle of the dwel, i.e wen the DTI stops moving TDC is marked on a timing disc, the crank is rotated untill the DTI moves and the disc is markked again, the crank is rotated back to the middle of the 2 marks this is true TDC