Battery Isolater Switch

Guest coops222

hi guys,

im thinking of fitting a battery isolater switch... where would be the best place to put it and how does it affect iva/sva?

cheers paul

Hi Paul,

I've just fitted mine mate. It's on the slam panel under the bonnet, i chose to put it there purely for ease of access

when working under the bonnet (my battery is in the back you see) and also hidden as a security device

With regard to the IVA, IMHO it shouldn't matter where you put it so long as the switch / key etc doesn't fall foul

of the dreaded sphere of death? THe only thing i have done to modify mine is to fit 2 rubber boots to where the battery cable connects to it.

For the record, mine is just the cable break type and not the one with the relay that saves your alternator if used for turning off the engine. (someone will surely explain that bit better than i can!! lol.)

HTH,

Nick.

Fitted mine on the earth terminal (-) on the battery & fitted a jump lead fuse holder in parallel with low amp fuse to look after ECU & maybe have side lights on if necessary; any muppet tries to start motor & fuse will blow. Have thought of connecting a horn in parallel with all above so when(if) fuse blows horn will sound,but not tried this yet.

My ECU blew up on the way back from France earlier this year.

A leccy-savvy friend helped me replace it, & noticed that I had put the isolator between the pos terminal of the battery & everything else, so the starter was feeding through it.

When we checked the isolator it was occasionally failing, cutting off the alternator.

He reckoned that excessive starter load could have fried the contacts, & excessive voltage could then have blown the ECU, and maybe eventually the alternator.

The starter circuit now feeds direct from the battery, with a low rate fuse feeding the cigarette lighter, but everything else including starter solenoid goes via the isolator.

Maybe everyone else knows this?....but just a heads up..

HTH Bob