Looking For New Tin Top

Redspec

The time has come to start looking for a new car as my 11yo Terrano is starting to show it's age and there are a few jobs I don't want to start spending money on.

I have been on Auto trader today and Jaguar x type 2.2 estates have been catching my eye. I know they are based on Mondeo's so should be ok.

Any one had one?

Anything to look out for

Any better suggestions for a nice looking estate car at around £10,000

All comments welcome

Thanks

Steve

Guest dinger

5 Series BMW touring all the way,,, you'll have 10 years of trouble free motoring,

Just my suggestion but in past I have had many different cars and always go back to them,

I could just about manage a 2.0L diesel and buy a set of badges and stripes on my budget :( steve

Keep posting any suggestions please I have started to look at "other" options now

Thanks

Steve

Guest cerioli_83

Hi,

Only estate i'd go for is the good old Volvo! Lol

For that money the best is in reach! The D5 engine. I'm looking to spend half that on an older D5 estate, so a £10k one will just go on and on. Seen a 2004 D5 with 285k, full service history. Not that you'd buy those miles, just it can do them!

But it's far from sexy and not really anything to get excited about. But will tow a trailer with sommin on the back and give enough room in the back for tyres and tools.

had a skoda octavia for last 4 yrs and never misssed a beat, thought it was brill, (but was petrol and i do alot more miles now,) so i went and looked at a volvo V50 diesel, high milage but ex lease so all in third lane, comfy and 136 bhp and lots of toys as it had been speced up from baic model so can pull too, far more comfy than Skoda which suprised me,

£155 tax and an average fuel comp of 50 mpg will do me,

£10k should get you a quite late low milage one, too but dont dismiss skoda est either,

MItch

Thanks for all the input lads, Just got back from looking / test driving and have gone for a BMW 320 D estate.

The jag just did not feel any thing special for the money they were wanting

Thanks again

Ive had a 320 d estate since Nov last year.

Pluses....fuel consumption...37 commuting, 62 on a motorway run @ 70 ish...performance (163 bhp); road holding & handling; motorway cruising in 6th at 70 doing 1800 rpm, very good brakes, split rear hatch.

Negatives...VERY hard ride on the runflats (even when theyre pumped up!), no spare; having to depress the clutch pedal to start it; heavy clutch, stiff gearchange, contoured seats in the rear only allow 2 people to be comfortable, 3 are very uncomfortable.

Bottom line?

I'll be chopping it in soon....I just don't enjoy driving it enough to keep it.

Sorry I didnt catch this thread sooner....I'd be interested to hear how yours measures up.

Bob

Guest The Modfather

The 2.0D Beemer is a good choice. Prefer that over the 2.3 but not the 3ltr D.

My landy has the 2.0D beemer engine and gearbox, nice and strong, should go for years without problems.