Alligator Bonnet

Guest rich44

Hi All

I need some help i have just got my first kit car she needs some help to bring her back to her former beauty

I would like to change from the alligator bonnet to a normal one is there a way i can use the one i have or will i have to buy new parts

i will try and post some pics as soon as i can

Richhttp://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f305/rtp37/the%20robin/therobin002.jpg

Edited by richard 44

Welcome,

One problem you will have trying to use your present bonnet and nose cone, is the holes where the nose cone is bolted to the bonnet.

Not too bad with the nose cone as it will be hidden by the bonnet, but if you trim the front of the bonnet to remove all the holes you will end up with two problems. The remainder of the bonnet will be too short to make up your scuttle and bonnet, and because of the shape of the bonnet, you will probably struggle to get a decent gap at the front edge where it meets the nose cone.

HTH

Nige

Guest Ian Marr

Take the plunge and cut the bonnet - got to be better than losing your fingers if the bonnet decides flip at speed :blink: :blink:

I used a jigsaw - new fine metal blade - masking tape wider than foot of jigsaw - go with confidence :spiteful:

Most cut straight across and vertically down, although I went for a sloping forward cut (to mirror the backward cut at the rear of the 'scuttle') and form a frame for the triangular pillar bracket. Assuming your screen is already on setting out the lines should be easier. You will need to think about a supporting structure to stop things flopping about and sealing the gap between bonnet and scuttle. I've used this stuff from CBS - Ian Johnson recommendation :friends:

I also made a frame up so the bonnet and nose cone all pivot forwards from front of chassis - this will eliminate the problem outlined by ecam.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Rich

Welcome to the mad house.

Take your time with the cut if your car is stainless, the heat from the cut might tarnish the stainless.

DSC00905-1.jpg

DSC00906.jpg

If you are happy with the nose cone fit to the bonnet then leave well alone :rolleyes: (only my opinion though)

HTHs