Steering Racks

Guest Griff

Guest paul thompson

Any body think I am mad? As I work for a company that make power steering, I am considering fitting a power steering system to my car post SVA. The rack is a Servotronic from a Jaguar Xtype along with the origional Sierra steering pump, Flow and pressure are about right. The servotronic function will be disabled which means that it will have a very heavy characteristic, about 8 to 10 Nm, it also has a variable ratio that means that the on centre speed is slow so you don't change langes if you sneeze at 70 (hrmph) well that is the speed limit!! and that more dynamic manouvres towards lock stops are bloody quick with a total of 2.7 turns lock to lock. Servotronic also comes with a positive entre feel device for a really crisp feel. Also means that parking with a 10 inch steering wheel will be no porblemo!

Guest Battery Bill

Paul

You are not the first, someone else was on about fitting powered steering quite recently, Can't remember who though. (Sorry to whoever it was) :rolleyes:

Guest paul thompson

It's for the improvement in dynamics that a power steer rack can offer, the variable ratio is great, and like I said the valve characteristic when the servotronic function is disabled is really heavy. Just try and turn your seering wheel with a torque wrench and see how much effort it takes. With the characteristic as high as 10 Nm for a pressure of only 30 bar, should make the steering not feel too different to yours when moving, but no problemo when parking, also the variable ration is really settled on straight ahead but very quick towards the lock stops. This rack is from the Jag X type which the press raved about the steering. I might even try just the rack without the pump to see what it's like but I already know that because of the ratio reaching lock stops will be really hard compared to on centre. It also has Positive centre feel, if you haven't driven a car with and without this little beauty, you will not appreciate just how good it is. That's why I think it could be a good idea, not cause i have weak and spindly arms and need help to turn the wheel! I'm no girlie! Steering is a technology all by itself and much overlooked by many car makers and even viewed as a necessaryt evil! I know cause I sell it to them, Morgan will be using our steering from June this year on the Aero 8, they are over the moon with it, I even met Charles Morgan on Wednesday who drove the car and enthused about how good the steering is now, so ya boo sucks to you uneducated types. OK i can get off the sop box now.

Guest paul thompson

Hi Ian,

We don't get too many ex demo racks unfortunately. The Jag X type rack from me would cost about £300, but then you need a pump and the hoses. The origional pump from the sierra had an integral reservoir, so that should be taken care of if you go that route, or I can get a pump for about £80 new. but then you need to source a pulley and brackets etc. Or an electric Pump as used by Morgan or BMW on the Mini for about £145 but then you need some signals from the car that the ignition is on and the engine is running. I can also get the power steer rack from the sierra/Scorpio, the non servotronic version without PCF is £245 i'd have to check the servotronic version price but the mounting changed when they changed the scorpio to that type of steering from horizontal to vertical. Needless to say I managed to blag the Jag one I have, and the pump cost me £15 off ebay. by the way this is not an advert matt, just letting people know how much these things cost!

Guest Griff

:huh: No power steering here!!!!!!!!!!

Just come back from a 200 mile round trip to the Midlands, I'm really getting quite fond of roundabouts now.

PS I drive an MPV all week!!!!!!!

Griff