Valve Spring Compression

Andi

I have had one of these (pictured below) delivered recently.

But it does`nt compress the spring enough as I cant seem to get the feet to the very bottom of the spring.

Is there any other way to compress the springs with the head on?

I am trying to do the rope down the plug hole method to change my valve seals.

Cheers

Andi

post-2933-066174000 1287228828_thumb.jpg

Guest chris brown

Hell that looks over complicated if you are using it on a Pinto. I have done the job with a spanner but it is not easy to replace the collets much better if you can make a fork shaped tool to hook under the camshaft and press down on the spring retainer that way a gentle pull down on the tool and a tap to free the collets then compress spring and remove collets (a magnetic screwdriver is good for this). Replacing is just as easy.

Just remember to move the rope along each time.

Guest mower man

Andi 2 screw drivers under the cam or fab some thing up y form as sir chris says I'll see if I can come up with some thing in the next day or so regards mower man :good:

Andi 2 screw drivers under the cam or fab some thing up y form as sir chris says I'll see if I can come up with some thing in the next day or so regards mower man :good:

Tried all manners of levers and spanners, most unproductive. But as I was throwing the towel in and switching the garage light off

I spotted some steel bars leaning up the wall. I was going to use them to bar the garage window some 3 years ago and have never

got round to it.

they ar a bout 4ft x 50mm x 10mm thick, so tomorrow ill get the angry out and cut a notch out of the end. That ought to do it :spiteful:

Still pretty annoyed about the piece of cr*p tool i brought though.

Thanks

Andi

found this while i was looking for the tool that holds up the valve. which i can't find

it screwed in to the plug hole with a L shaped rod that tightened up against the valve.

http://nw.rhocar.org/seals.htm

apat from the cost of the gaskets might be quicker to pull the head. if you have a good normal spring compressor

enjoy

Andi, looking at your super gizmo tool -- would it not be possible to take some of the bend out of the end forks so they can enter under the bottom coil of the spring? Put a jubilee clip on the legs first,push down & tighten to stop legs spinging out when using. Any help or another duff idea of mine. :unsure:

found this while i was looking for the tool that holds up the valve. which i can't find

it screwed in to the plug hole with a L shaped rod that tightened up against the valve.

http://nw.rhocar.org/seals.htm

apat from the cost of the gaskets might be quicker to pull the head. if you have a good normal spring compressor

enjoy

Cheers Wooly, if my iron bar idea dont work then i will have a go at fashioning a copy of the tool on that hoody site.

Taking the head off would be a last resort due to my lack of engine experience and proven track record of breaking

things. And no i dont have any other compressor.

Hopefully tomorrow will tell.

And

Andi, looking at your super gizmo tool -- would it not be possible to take some of the bend out of the end forks so they can enter under the bottom coil of the spring? Put a jubilee clip on the legs first,push down & tighten to stop legs spinging out when using. Any help or another duff idea of mine. :unsure:

I will give it a go, but the legs would be in a upside down V shape and I imagine the clip would just rise higher and higher as it is tightned. BUT if the legs had a rivet half way up... that would stop the clip moving further up.

Cheers chaps, thats a couple of possible solutions.

Andi

Hi Andi,

If you decide to pull the head I have a valve spring compressor you can borrow.

Its not too difficult to get off and back on, and it is much easier to adjust the valve clearances with the head and assorted gubbins out of the car. (IMHO).

You will need a set if new head bolts and gaskets as well. MMMmmmm perhaps carry on trying with it on!!!

Let me know.

Derek.

Hi Andi,

If you decide to pull the head I have a valve spring compressor you can borrow.

Its not too difficult to get off and back on, and it is much easier to adjust the valve clearances with the head and assorted gubbins out of the car. (IMHO).

You will need a set if new head bolts and gaskets as well. MMMmmmm perhaps carry on trying with it on!!!

Let me know.

Derek.

Cheers Derek,

Ive got Gaz and Andy coming over at some point with a compressor. They are gonna whip the head off and give it all a once over. So Im going to go for a felpro gasket and possibly do a bit of porting and polishing. And hopefully not find any other problems in the process.

Andi

• 2 weeks later...