Zx6r Carbs

Thrashed

Hi all. After some help.

Final fitting of the fuel pipes to the carbs. From the tank to mechanical fuel pump is is 8mm. Then from pump to carb is the problem. The pump outlet is 8mm as expected but the carb is about 6.5 to 7mm.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it just a case of doing up the jubilee clip tight?

Any experiences, views, thoughts and pictures all welcome

Thanks

Steve

Guest Stuartl

Hi Steve, Great Pics!

I have a set a Zx9r Carbs that will be going on my car over the winter.

I was advised to use a bike fuel pump with bike carbs as it will automatically shut down when the carbs are full.

Have you spoken to someone with a similar setup that have retained the mechanical pump without problem as I would be interested to know. If you do retain the pump a fuel regulator would be needed as the max pressure for the bike carbs should be 3 psi (some say 2.5 psi).

Keep us posted!

Stuart

Guest Robin Allison

I found the bike pumps cheap. Got a zxr one for £12 off eBay.

One problem with the bike pump is that you need to mount it as close or under the tank. If it has to suck a long distance the output pressure drops too low under hard load.

For the pipe try and stretch the 6mm over instead of trying to tighten the 8pm down.

the fuel inlet on mine is 8mm, brown plastic pipe at the bottom between the centre two carbs.

Have been running a facet solid state fast road pump,no regulator for the past 3 years without any probs, cleanliness is the main thing, take the float bowls off, make sure the float heights are right, the needle valves are working properly and make sure you fasten the bowls back on tight

Hi Stuart

Going to use the mechanical pump and a pressure regulator. Was going to use the bike pump but the costs and finding them is just not practical.

Hope it works!

There are quite a few bike breaker yards in Brum (or there were 10 years ago before I left there).. You should be able to get a pump for cheap as chips. The fuel line should match both ends. I have an Yamaha R1 pump fuelling ZX6 carbs

Andi

Guest The Modfather

Guys.

I thought the petrol inlet was the small tube underneath (next to the float bowl) with the black tubes linking the other bowls. I know the tube that Steve is talking about, and did wonder what this one was for, now I know :good:

So what is that small metal tube that I first describe? It is only about 3mm diameter.

Darren

Guys.

I thought the petrol inlet was the small tube underneath (next to the float bowl) with the black tubes linking the other bowls. I know the tube that Steve is talking about, and did wonder what this one was for, now I know :good:

So what is that small metal tube that I first describe? It is only about 3mm diameter.

Darren

The petrol inlet is a black plastic tube in the middle of the carbs (ringed in green) about 1/2 inch long from memory. It also swivels.

Bear in mind there are a couple of zx6r carb designs though.

There may be a longer plastic pipe on the very top of the set up, this is not needed so disregard it.

Andi

post-2933-003221400 1288006287_thumb.jpg

Guys.

Darren

Not sure Daz, but again it is not needed. There is only 1 pipe to be connected, 1 cable (accelerator) and 1 choke (fuel enrichment lever) if required

Andi

Guys.

Darren

Daz

The pipies you describe are the heater system for the anti icing, i've decided that as the carbs are inside on our instalation this won't be needed.

There is a good schematic here

www.kawasakimotorcyclespares.co.uk

Follow links to zx6r g1 carburetor and carburetor parts

Thanks guys.

Can i just check my understanding. When looking at the trumpets the hose on the left about 6mm is the anti ice-up thing, the 1 at the bottom in the middle about 8mm is the fuel in and the 1 at the top is a breather.

If this is correct you have saved my bacon, as i guess fuel in where water should be is not a good idea!!

Now to find a bike pump, anyone got a spare for beer tokens??

Cheers :drinks:

Thanks ozz, this would be idea but it asks me for a user name and password for google. Do you have a copy in a PDF format?

It let me do it ok.. PM me your email address

Andi

edit:- Having said that its too large to mail... I just clicked on the download button and it didnt ask me for a password.