Wiper Motor

Guest Daren.F

Guest Daren.F

I have this wiper motor but I don't know what its off, I want to make it park.

It says Lucas, England on the body, and has three wires.

Can any-one tell me where to hit it to make it park?

post-8-1079383196.jpg

Guest Tony Tank

Hi Darren

Its off a mini and someone as done away with the park switch :o and joined the wires. :gdit:

So you need a park switch and re do the wires so get a later mini haynes book to suss the wires. :p

Good luck ;)

Tank

Guest SteveL

It defintely looks like a mini style wiper motor, but it could be the older one with a single speed (which I think only had three wires) and the park switch is knackered, or it could be a newer one with two speeds, and someone's removed the park switch/cables.

5 wires good. 3 wires bad.

There's a build top on the RHOCAR site:

http://www.rhocar.org/content.php?article.1

which gives you the colours of the wires to join together if you're using the Sierra/Vicky Green loom(s). The bad news is that the colours of your wires don't seem to match the standard mini colours.

Steve

The single speed motors only have 2 wires going into the motor itself. The two speed ones have 3 wires from the park switch to the motor, and 5 going onto the park switch.

The photo you've shown definitely has a missing park switch - it should clip into the small rectangular hole which is towards the top left of your photo. It's a white plastic box, about 3/4 x 1 1/4 inches, 3 spade terminals one side and 5 spade terminals the other.

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

As Tony (& Ant) say - the park switch is missing

Here is a pic of the motor I've got hold of.

The wires originally went to the park switch / wiring socket.

You can get a new park switch from here - Mini Spares Costs £9.99 + Vat + shipping I'm not sure what you get and this could be more than you paid for the motor.

There is info on the wiring of the Lucas motor on this site SVC Look under "Wipers"

On the SVC diagram the three wires visible on your motor go to the following pin terminals blue #1; yellow #3 ; red #5

Terry

Edited by TerryBarry

Guest Daren.F

What a fantastic response! the question answered with diagrams and photos,

I went to look at the car to see if one of you had been around and fitted the park switch as well :D

Thank you all.

Ill try the scrap yard for the switch, the other two wires are in the black insulation tape with spades fitted so it should be a doddle now :(

Guest Russler

I guess I must have an early one then as mine only has three wires, I haven't tried getting the park to work, theres much more exciting things to do, although it is quite a good game trying to switch them off in the right postion in fact after two years experience now I feel pretty confident in my wiper positioning abilities. Call me sad (and you probalbly will), but its adds to the challenge. As a further note I fitted vdo dials recently and tried to get the illumination to work this weekend, however picked the wrong wire and so the dials only illuminate on full beam, BL**dy typical :p

• 2 weeks later...

Daren,

what side of the car are you trying to park the wipers ?

It could just be a case of just taking the wheel boxes off the worm drive and turning them 180* before clamping them back on.

I done this with one of mine and have mine parking towards the drivers side and the passengers side and meet in the middle when working.

Les