First Start

Thrashed

Hi all.

Going for first engine start tomorrow. Have done the usual checks, torque on bolts, battery on charge overnight, Bob to hold fire extinguisher etc

If anyone has any words of wisdom on how to best approach this I would be glad to hear.

Got video camera on charge so hopefully a you tube clip tomorrow!!!!

Cheers Steve

Guest steve8274

hi steve

i started mine up the other day. couldnt wait any longer.

i did all the checks to make sure everything was tight. checked engine bay to make sure no tools or cloths left lying round. turned it over for a while to get oil pressure up then gave it start. no joy at first. not enough in old battery even though it had been on charge overnight. connected jump leads and started first time. couldnt wipe smile off face for ages

good luck for start. hope you enjoy as much as me. can check mine out below if you not already seen it

look forward to vid

steve

started car today for first time. couldnt resist any longer. still waiting for exhaust. huge smile when it started!!

check it out on youtube!

steve

Well I am gutted. Got everything prep'd and ready. Oil in, Jerry can of petrol started pre start checks on timing, plug leads and spark!!! No spark!!!

End up buying new coil to change from balast to non balast, no joy. Tested wiring, traced wiring to check connected right, got other to also check and still no joy.

Issue is that although the coil is getting a 12v supply nothing is coming out. Nothing out the ht at the coil or at the dizzy. After a few hours of testing and head scratching, I am going to take a trip to gbs tomorrow and swap parts to see if it's the parts or something else.

If anyone has any good ideas, I am running a pinto with ignition amplifier and hall effect dizzy. Wired up as per Nigel (long boarder) diagram.

Cheers

Steve

When I drew that pic years ago I used the ford diagrams (which do not have the amplifier wires in the real life order) and the wire colours in the ford plug tails. I didn't imagine anyone wiring up without a pre-wired plug from the donor. As plugs are getting rarer and people are wiring the bare plugless amplifier I should correct it.

The order is:

1.Green (To coil neg),

2.Black (To coil pos/ignition live),

3.Black/Green (To cranking live),

4.Green/Yellow (To Purple, Dizzy),

5.Black/Red (To Orange, Dizzy),

6.Brown (To earth).

Re-drawn below. Colours and connections are the same but rearranged into the correct real life order on the amplifier so right if you don't have a plug.

The dizzy still has three wires but the black wire doesn't connect in the plug but ends blind.

Nigel

post-21-029103800 1289352479_thumb.jpg

When I drew that pic years ago I used the ford diagrams (which do not have the amplifier wires in the real life order) and the wire colours in the ford plug tails. I didn't imagine anyone wiring up without a pre-wired plug from the donor. As plugs are getting rarer and people are wiring the bare plugless amplifier I should correct it.

The order is:

1.Green (To coil neg),

2.Black (To coil pos/ignition live),

3.Black/Green (To cranking live),

4.Green/Yellow (To Purple, Dizzy),

5.Black/Red (To Orange, Dizzy),

6.Brown (To earth).

Re-drawn below. Colours and connections are the same but rearranged into the correct real life order on the amplifier so right if you don't have a plug.

The dizzy still has three wires but the black wire doesn't connect in the plug but ends blind.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel.

Mine is wire up correctly as per your notes and double checked against the gbs demo car. What I have discovered is that I have the efi dizzy which is wrong. I need the carb inductive carb but was after the part number as the first thing the kid in the local motor factor said was what's a dizzy followed by what's a Sierra!!

Thanks for your help

Steve