Exhaust To Make.....aargh!

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

I made the 4 branch manifold to the point of fitting the secondaries, but it hasn't been easy! The welding isn't pretty, but it appears air tight. The promaries actually slotted inside the flange, so I welded both inside and outside, just need to do a little grinding inside the pipes.

I wouldn't say it was the easiest thing to make, as you are limited to the lenghts they give you, and I still need to get an extra length of 2" pipe as there isn't enough to get me to the silencer.

But I suppose that's what make this a hobby, by taking time to make it correctly.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chutney

Good going chap! Think of the money saved. Pics will be ace. Remember that *bleep* welds can be covered with high temp paint or heat wrap!!!

Failing that just say a bird crapped on it

Guest The Modfather

Thanks Chutney. I was going to wrap it anyway :lol:

Actually, I forgot to ask, where on the exhaust should the lambda socket go, and what has to be put into the hole to stop gases escaping when it's not being tested? I guess it's just a threaded bung, but who sells them, or do I not need one? What is it for anyway, MOT test???? engine management????

Thanks

Guest Chutney

Well I have a gbsc exhaust and the threaded hole is right at the end of the assembly just before the silencer (or cat if I was daft enough to be forced into using one) would be fitted. I will be using a lambda with the emerald I guess, but if I wasn't I'd just find a nice stainless bolt that fitted and cut it down abit.

Guest The Modfather

Can I suggest you don't try and cover any holes with wrap. I don't know for sure but have heard it can cause a fire risk if it escapes from a hole.

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I have no holes, but I will fill with water once it's all done and check for leaks.

Here are some pics so far.

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Thanks guys.

I knew someone would mention the soldering iron as soon as I took the pic! :rofl:

Yes I'm looking forward to hours of sitting down with the Dremmel, not!

I thought that they would look good with a polish, but i'll probably wrap them.

Thanks again. Stand by for the next lot of pics as it exits the body.

Daz

Welding looks good Daz :good:

I did weld up one of these kits once for a guy who had a Midtec Spider what a mare of a job as it was a rear engined car with no room at all to run anything :crazy: at which point I vowed never to do one again.

On saying that not even the kit companys can get it right,I have a 4-2-1 manifold from a Pilgrim Sumo which I modified to fit my S7, on the way back from Stoneleigh a couple of years ago it started to blow like a good'n, Thinking that my mods had failed I stripped it out, only to find my welds to be all intacked and that Pilgrims welds had failed at the primary joints. :shok:

After an hour or so with a TIG welder it was all sorted ad back in the car :D

post-936-0-59780100-1295793912_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

Cheers Chris.

Does anyone know the best way to fit the exhaust wrap? I've heard some say fit it wet to get it nice and tight and to stop saggy bits. Is this correct?

Daz

Thanks Chutney. I was going to wrap it anyway :lol:

Actually, I forgot to ask, where on the exhaust should the lambda socket go, and what has to be put into the hole to stop gases escaping when it's not being tested? I guess it's just a threaded bung, but who sells them, or do I not need one? What is it for anyway, MOT test???? engine management????

Thanks

you need the sensor hole for the guy who will be setting the carbs up. as near to the engine after the 4 pipes have joined all together, if near a joint then it must be gas tight.

find a nut that fits one of your old pinto plugs position between 11 - 2 O'Clock drill out hole, can fit the plug back.

also fit a plug lead cos people will ask what's that you say after burner