Exhaust To Make.....aargh!

Guest The Modfather

Guest The Modfather

It's coming to the time when I need to make an exhaust. I need one that exits under the clam shell wings rather than coming over the top rail. I'm as nervous as hell. I've found these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LOCOST-VINDICATOR-SEVEN-ZETEC-421-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-KIT-/260544767431?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ca9ada5c7 but where on earth do you start?!

Fit manifold flange plate to the block, and then mess around tack welding the primaries into place I suppose. How do you weld different thicknesses without blowing holes into the thinner pipes? The flange is 10mm thick, but the pipes will be thin.

Has anyone else made their own? Wanna make mine?

HELP

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

i've been looking to do the same for a while, still haven't got round to it but these are my thoughts so far. I i was going to buy the bends from kitspares as they do cheap SSteel bends and weld it up myself.

You mention welding S-steel to mild but the kit you linked to seems to say it is all mild? or have i read it wrong.

You should watch when they make exhausts on American hotrod + chopper as they do it quite often and its interesting to see how they do it.

I'm not a particularly good welder but i made my own S-Steel fuel tank and got it through sva. I found that if you leave even the smallest gap it would blow through. I used a mig with stainless wire and argon gas.

from the bits ive seen on the web for welding stainless tube a good way is to block the ends with tin foil and have a separate source of gas purging the tubes as you weld so there is no air in the tubes. I'd also weld really slow - on/off on/off so it doesn't build up too much heat. I think the other key is to make sure the fit is absolutely perfect before welding.

i think Stainless liberates chromium when you weld it so i wore a mask when i welded it, especially as i wasn't in a particularly airy place as i didn't want any wind blowing the gas shroud away.

makes a weird whooshing green flame using argon!

this is just my thoughts so feel free to correct me.

hth

Daz,

I made the holes oin the header plate a little larger than required and champherred the inner edge. passed the tube through and belled out to fit. Welded on the inside and ground out to smooth.

Sorry, I have skipped them or would show you the results.

Curves were modelled with welding wire and then transferred to the pipe. The worst bit was the collector.

Graham b

Guest The Modfather

I've just looked on the GBS shop website, and seen the zetec manifold, but that shows an over the rail type. I'll do some measuring and get it ordered this week. The only thing I like about the one I've posted above is that it is 10mm thick. The one GBS show is only 6mm thick, and I'm worried about heat warping when the car is running.

Guest The Modfather

i started to make my own this weekend

How you getting on Dave? What kit did you use?

Daz,

I made the holes oin the header plate a little larger than required and champherred the inner edge. passed the tube through and belled out to fit. Welded on the inside and ground out to smooth.

Sorry, I have skipped them or would show you the results.

Curves were modelled with welding wire and then transferred to the pipe. The worst bit was the collector.

Graham b

Sounds like a good idea Graham abouts passing the pipes through and welding on the inside. Did you weld yours Graham? How are you. been a while since chatting, happy new year to you and family mate.

As a point daz. Mine used to have clam wings but changed to cycle type the difference is astonishing at motorway speeds.

Shame as i did like the clam look.

Can't help with the exhaust sorry

Guest The Modfather

I see what you are saying Chris. But, doesn't it mean new bracketry or hub carriers? Then there are the holes in the bodywork where the old clamshell wings bolted on. However that would mean I won't have to fix the cracks where they bolt to the stays. Umm, food for thought there Chris.